• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim Fit OCBD

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey there, I've been trying to find some good quality slim fit OCBD and dress shirts for a while. Brooks Brothers Made in America has always been one of my favorite shirts, as it is a classic button down and I like the history of the company. With that said, it has been very hard to find them in my size. I've seen a lot of people discuss Spier and McCkay, Gitman Bros, and Kamakura. However, I have not tried any of the 3 as they're predominantly sold online. Does anyone have suggestions for a good quality shirt for slimmer fit? I would like to spend less than $125 per shirt. Thanks,

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H
Maybe try Proper Cloth and get it made to your preferred specs?
How is the quality of their shirts? I noticed they have Baird and Mcnutt linen, which is cool. Also, do they have sales?

GoldenBrahms

Reaction score
I have 4 OCBDs from Spier and Mackay. I love them and they are some of my favorite shirts. I have the previous iteration which was made of a sturdier/heavier weight cotton. Their recent iteration is lighter, includes box pleats, and a locker loop. I don't own one, so I can't comment on it.

In terms of how they fit, I am 5'9" 160lbs and physically fit (39" chest and 32" waist, actual measurements). I typically wear a size 38R jacket. I purchase their Slim Fit shirts in 15.5/33, and they fit just about perfectly given my preferences, and with absolutely no tailoring needed. They also have an "Extra Slim" fit which would be too tight on me.

I particularly like that the collar on these shirts is of a fairly substantial size. They don't look tiny next to wider jacket lapels, and they roll rather nicely. I can't think of another brand where I have no issues with fit. Most of my shirts from other makers end up getting darts or sleeve alterations.

St1X

Reaction score
Second for Spier & Mackay.
You can also make to measure shirts with them

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second for Spier & Mackay.
You can also make to measure shirts with them
Collar points look short compared to Mercer, for example.
However, Mercer cannot even spell "slim-fit".

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer Charles Tyrwhitt to Spier. Having owned shirts from both vendors, I've found that CT hold up better and also fit me better. CT also has an 'extra slim' option which may work for you. I wear their slim size however I am 5'9", 185lbs, 42 in the chest and 36 in the waist so you would probably be better off checking out the extra slim.

If you look online for the 3 for $99 coupon from CT, you can get a pretty good deal on some decent shirts.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey there, I've been trying to find some good quality slim fit OCBD and dress shirts for a while. Brooks Brothers Made in America has always been one of my favorite shirts, as it is a classic button down and I like the history of the company. With that said, it has been very hard to find them in my size. I've seen a lot of people discuss Spier and McCkay, Gitman Bros, and Kamakura. However, I have not tried any of the 3 as they're predominantly sold online. Does anyone have suggestions for a good quality shirt for slimmer fit? I would like to spend less than $125 per shirt. Thanks,
what's your size?

acconrad

Reaction score
Kamakura and don't even bother looking elsewhere.

I've tried Brooks, Drakes, Kamakura, Mercer, Gitman. I have a muscular build. Drakes fit me perfectly and Kamakura are too slim for me (in the American fit). So if the regular fit is still too big for you, the Japanese fit will be even slimmer.

Expertly made, incredible value. Made to the standards of the old school OCBDs. Fantastic collar roll. You will not be disappointed.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF member @Steve Smith sells BB and J Press shirts (all new) at EBay as smsmith007. Maybe you can contact him here or take a look at his listings at EBay.

Thanks for the mention, Mike.

OP, what is your size and fit preference for Brooks Brothers shirts? I have many boxes of shirts which have not been listed for sale yet.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does the quality of J Press compare to BB made in USA shirts?

Also, received my BB made in USA shirts and they are nice. However the stripes are not aligned on the top of the shirt with the body of the shirt. See image. It was always my understanding that the lines being aligned are a sign of a quality shirt. Thoughts on this?

Attachments

• 422A67E5-C276-48BF-8552-FBA5A649AE3D.jpeg
    422A67E5-C276-48BF-8552-FBA5A649AE3D.jpeg
    292.9 KB · Views: 399

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
was
Thanks for the mention, Mike.

OP, what is your size and fit preference for Brooks Brothers shirts? I have many boxes of shirts which have not been listed for sale yet.
15.5, 34. What is your return policy? I have no experience trying on the j press shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads