• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

slim fit lab coat

modagg

Reaction score
I know this sounds crazy but i got to thinking. I wear a lab coat at work and spend all this money on nice fitted clothes and then i gotta throw on a oversized lab coat that looks like crap. I looked around on the web but all it seems that its typically a lady thing. Does such a thing exist; if so where can i get one and if not, is this something a tailor could do for a reasonable price.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the Docs on House MD get to look all sexy, why not? Don't make it too couture, with waist suppression and all that, but keeping it on the straight and narrow, so to speak, shouldn't be a problem. I'd do the same thing.

Also, don't tell anybody.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps one could commission a lab coat from a custom tailor.

How about some Sea Island high count cotton?
Mother of pearl buttons?

Probably want to insist on full canvassing too and hand-sewn buttonholes.

Oh, I'd be PISSED if some jackass patient throws up on such fancy labcoat.

And while you're at it, have some slim fitting scrubs made too!

modagg

Reaction score
Well i was looking at one by baby phat (yes that baby phat) and was going to just get an XL (im a 41) but noticed it was lined with that cat logo and their was a tiny cat logo on the bottom. I was thinking possibly a sf x dickies lab coat; a man can dream.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, just wear what everyone is wearing. Please post a link of this BabyPhat one, you have to be joking right?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by modagg
I know this sounds crazy but i got to thinking. I wear a lab coat at work and spend all this money on nice fitted clothes and then i gotta throw on a oversized lab coat that looks like crap. I looked around on the web but all it seems that its typically a lady thing. Does such a thing exist; if so where can i get one and if not, is this something a tailor could do for a reasonable price.

yes, this sounds crazy.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Perhaps one could commission a lab coat from a custom tailor.

How about some Sea Island high count cotton?
Mother of pearl buttons?

Probably want to insist on full canvassing too and hand-sewn buttonholes.

Oh, I'd be PISSED if some jackass patient throws up on such fancy labcoat.

And while you're at it, have some slim fitting scrubs made too!

They already make "fitted" scrubs because so many people in the medical field have seen how they can look on TV shows. The idea may sound a tad superfluous but I don't see why it should be. As long as it's functional, why can't one part of a person's hobby or preference extend to their professional life? When I went scrubs shopping a few months ago I was surprised what utter crap most of them could be. Pants that fit your posterior like spandex in small fit like your fat uncle John's hand-me-down's in medium. I'd rather have clothes that fit when I work not because I'm trying to impress someone but because it's irritating to work in clothes too big or too small regardless of profession. As far as lab coats go, there are tons of places online and a good chunk offer measurements. I couldn't tell you the brand of my coat off-hand but I'm more than please with the fit in the shoulders/body. Most other coats I found did fit about the same.

jabreal00

Reaction score
Buy a lab coat in your normal size; M, L, XL ect.. and take it to get altered if it still fits like a tarp. Many of the docs I work with get their scrubs altered for a better fit. I use a lab coat one size smaller than my regular size. Works good enough.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Straight out of residency i used to get the Lab coats with cotton/poly etc blend, like wearing a tent and only came in S, M, L, XL etc.

Now i get the 100% cotton lab coats with the half belt (belts with one button on back), with 100% cotton buttons(look like the knot cufflinks). They fit a lot better and are made in coat sizes i.e. 40, 42, 44 etc.

Regards.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you should get the platinum stethoscope from Tiffany, only $12,000 but oh you will look so fab when you say "jesus christ nurse, did you even take his pulse?!?!?! Get out of my way!!!"

Roy Biggins

Reaction score
No, I don't think it sounds crazy at all. I don't understand the reactions to this question.

I also don't understand how anyone can work in a baggy fitting lab coat, scrubs, or coveralls.

I altered a lab coat of mine to be more slim. The arms for me are always the problem as my arms are extremely thin. It's super easy to alter because there is no lining in lab coats (or at least the ones I have seen). Take one to a tailor, unless you have a sewing machine.

I've done the same with coveralls as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads