1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Slim Fit Khaki's/Chino's

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by imightbechad, Sep 6, 2007.

1. BernieStevens

BernieStevens Senior member

UNIS on sale 25% off online and in store November 20th. (only)

Not just pants but everything.

2. mixProtocol

mixProtocol Senior member

I got an email from Dockers.com for a 40% off coupon code w/ Free Shipping: BLACKFRIDAY
    It brings some Alpha Khakis down to like $30, which is the lowest I've seen in a while...

3. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

Might grab a pair. What do you recommend? Skinny or slim? I'd prefer a slim-fitting pant, but want to make sure the description is accurate. How do the Alpha slims compare to the Gap lived-in slim?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  4. mixProtocol

The slim work well for me, but I haven't tried the skinny or GAP L.I.S, so I can't compare. Maybe someone else in the thread can answer.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  5. White Lotus

White Lotus Senior member

IMO, GAP lived in Slims are slightly slimmer than Alpha Slims. I owned both. I had to return the gap lived in slims cuz they were too tight for me.

DON'T LET THE PIX @ GAP fool you. GAP LIVED IN SLIMS are truly slim almost like levis 511 skinnies. I had to move up to GAP lived in Straights thats still a lil tight for me -_- I have a big bum so its hard to find pants that have room in the seat.

Anyways both Alpha & gap lived ins are great. Gap lived in khakis are more comfortable and the material is lighter. Alpha khakis are kinda of like denim/khakis. Anyways, I recently got both gap lived in straight & alpha standard fit. :))))

1 person likes this.
  6. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

The skinny is great especially with j. Crew brand wingtips

7. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I ended up ordering a slim pair and a skinny pair (for a total of $70.80). Whichever pair fits worse can just be returned.

8. xxxamazexxx

xxxamazexxx Senior member

Thanks for alerting us to the sale. On a related note, How does everyone feel about the fact that Dockers Alpha has double-stitched seams? If I'm not mistaken double-stitched seams are more likely to fall apart (not to mention that they look kinda gauche.)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  9. HollyJoint

HollyJoint Senior member

khakis chinos look great with a pair of desert boots besswax?

[​IMG]

10. White Lotus

White Lotus Senior member

imo they look great in anything. plus they're comfortable.

11. mixProtocol

Yeah, the look of double-stitching sort of bothers me, especially since I have some older D1-fit Dockers (not Alpha) that are no longer available, fit better than the Alpha Slim and have a clean hidden/concealed (whatever it's called?) stitch for the pant seams.

I'm not sure if the double-stitch is weaker, but I hate the puckering/bunching that seems to inevitably come with it (though, thus far, washing in cold water and air-drying seems to have prevented it in my Alphas...). As for guache, the Alphas are meant to be a crossover between khakis and denim, there are dressier options out there, if that's what you're looking for...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  12. HollyJoint

HollyJoint Senior member

I really love khakis slim fits

Today I saw some at H & M and the fit was OK, but the quality was very poor.

Recommend dickies 803 slim? I like the slim fits not skinny

[​IMG]

h & m have these, anyone recommend? they felt too loose in the thigh, you do not?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  13. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

Those Dockers Alpha khakis just arrived in the mail (slim fit and skinny fit), and I'm not impressed in the slightest.

The slim isn't slim. There's no taper in the leg. It fits like any other pair of ill-fitting khakis you'd pick up at your local department store. Unlike the slim, the skinny actually lives up to it's name, which isn't a good thing. They're too skinny. These things might as well come with a pack of Tampax Pearl fresh scented tampons.

Until I find something better, I'll stick with Gap's lived-in slims.

14. HollyJoint

HollyJoint Senior member

recommended H&M chinos?

15. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

Did you maybe get a mislabeled slim that's actually a standard fit? My slims are about 8.75" at the knee and taper down to 7.5".

16. CaptainMiguel

CaptainMiguel Member

Great thread.

Last night, after seeing the suggestion here, I picked up a couple of Lived-in Slim Chinos on sale at Gap. They are very soft, nice medium weight, and they did a great job on achieving a believable broken-in feel. The fit seems good but I am not the best gauge... at 5'5", I typically have to get all pants tailored so that they fit proportionally. To me, they seem a bit too casual to try to dress up more than just a little bit but they would probably work for casual Fridays at my office when I don't feel like wearing jeans. All in all, I think I am going to love them.

I've had some H&M slim chinos for about a year. I don't know how they compare to the current seasons offerings but they fit pretty slim (kind of like 511 Levis). The quality seems decent - they haven't fallen apart or anything - it's just that the fabric doesn't appear to be anything special and they are pretty lightweight. Again, I don't think I could dress these up either. These have been my go-to lightweight basic chino that I wear with boat shoes in warmer weather.

Based on suggestions from this thread, I'm planning on trying some Unis Gio and Brooks Brothers soon. Then, I'll have a nice spectrum for comparison. I assume that either of those might have the potential to be dressed up a bit more.

17. adiel408

adiel408 Member

khakis chinos look great with a pair of desert boots besswax?
    Imo They look better with denim

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  18. wasianman

wasianman Member

Anyone know how to size on Dickies slim skinny fit twill pants? Sale at a Target..read mixed reviews saying they shrink after wash and the opposite saying they stretch. Can anyone help me out?

19. chrisefi

chrisefi Senior member

Went and picked up 2 more pairs of the Hawkings McGill chinos from UO. They were $49. Can't beat that. They fit perfectly! I now have 2 pairs in slate, 1 in blue and one in black. They're one of my favorites!

20. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member