• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim Fit Khaki's/Chino's

akaidiot

Reaction score
I'll add another voice to the chorus voicing support for Save Khaki, or just Save (which they seem to call it at the store). Nice stuff.

I picked up a nice pair for $50 or so at the J. Lindberg sale on Broadway and Prince yesterday. I think that is going on through tomorrow. Mostly 32s and 33s, but they fit about one size down from that.

JSK

Reaction score
Target's slim chinos are slim in name only. The actual fit is circus tent-like, with your leg the pole in the middle.

79 camaro

Reaction score
mason's made in italy are one of the best. they have a nice cotton/linen for summer not drapey, but nice texture, European fit. You can buy them at Barneys.

Rover

Reaction score
I just love my Filippa K Steve! slim fitted, good quality, and decent price! Got one in navy/purple-ish color, and one in white..

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gap Original Khakis seem reasonably slim:
gp538224-01p01v01.jpg
They're tapered and the hem is just under 9". I usually wear size-32 pants. The 31 was skin-tight. I picked up a 32 because they were slightly tighter around the butt, etc. than I'd like and I'm hoping they don't stretch too much. If you're ordering online, note that the inseam is a full 1" less than marked.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared

If you're ordering online, note that the inseam is a full 1" less than marked.

I don't think this is universal. Mine were accurate, as were every other pair I tried on.

allcapitan

Reaction score
The Gaps look surprisingly nice. They've gone away from fitted clothes for a long time now, but I hope they regain their senses. As far as undersizing the inseam, it seems like everyone does that. Don't know why.

Originally Posted by Jared
Gap Original Khakis seem reasonably slim:
gp538224-01p01v01.jpg

They're tapered and the hem is just under 9".

I usually wear size-32 pants. The 31 was skin-tight. I picked up a 32 because they were slightly tighter around the butt, etc. than I'd like and I'm hoping they don't stretch too much.

If you're ordering online, note that the inseam is a full 1" less than marked.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I bought J. Crew's essential chino in slim fit the other day. It looked very slim in the dressing room mirror, but seemed to grow during the work day. Even after loosening up, though, it still didn't look all that baggy. Haven't washed it yet but I suspect a wash and then a cycle in the dryer will take it back down to size.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by allcapitan
The Gaps look surprisingly nice. They've gone away from fitted clothes for a long time now, but I hope they regain their senses. As far as undersizing the inseam, it seems like everyone does that. Don't know why.

Living in a small town and just recently becoming interested in slim non-denim pants I was hoping I could get a ruling on whether a 9" hem counts as "slim".
smile.gif
I was planning on waiting for the MJK chinos, but being able to try clothes on is always nice...

djs488

Reaction score
9" is not slim at all. I'd say that is regular/relaxed. IMO -- of course it's all relative -- khakis should have a <=8" leg opening to look slim. 7.5" is pretty good, while <7" is pretty skinny.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think 9" hem is slim. personally I would look for something around 7.5" but this is depending on your build. For reference APC NS jeans (their non-slim jeans) have about a 7.5" hem for my size - 28-29. From my past experiences though I believe it is actually easier to find a pair of pants that fits you very well in the seat area and then spend $10-15 to get it tapered starting from the mid-thigh down. Getting "designer" khakis from APC or Aprill 77 or Filippa K is a costly alternative (and not justified IMO).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads