• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim Fit Khaki's/Chino's

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kensington
I picked up a pair of Uniqlo vintage chino pants today. 8 1/2" leg opening.
frown.gif

I know, that's not so hot for some of us (myself included) but a tailor can take of that for $15-30 depending on who it is.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody tried the Rugby Vintage Chino University pants?

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pretty similar to j crew's urban slim fit with slightly more luxe detailing at the waistband and pockets, decent quality chino cloth.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kensington
What's a good size I should taper down too? It seems like most of my pants are 8"
Depends on your personal preferences, obviously. I think that a 7.5 - 8" leg opening works well on me, but YMMV. If you get a tailor to taper, be aware that you're changing the way the pant looks, and if the pant isn't reasonably slim-ish to begin with, it could end up looking weird. If a pant is 10" in the knee and you want to taper it down to 7.5" in the leg, it's going to look bizarre. As a rule of thumb, I'd avoid going down more than one whole inch, but again YMMV. My tailor is a wizard, so if I took him the 10" pants I'm sure he could work something out.

bartz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01
The sizing is really strange, so be careful. Runs short on inseam and big on waist. My Brooks Brothers size is 31x30. The closest I could get to that at Rugby was 30x32. The fabric quality is great. It feels really nice, but watch out on the stitching.

HighWater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01
I have. I own two pairs. They're fantastic. They cut them thicker for the fall/winter line. They're relaxed in the seat and thigh with a nice taper (a size 32 has a 7.5" leg opening). And you really cannot beat the retail price. Do be careful of the misnomer, though. They're not at all chino pants; they're just khakis. The Rugby brand can be depended on for OCBDs, khakis, corduroy pants, the odd thing here or there, and that's it. They don't even make Rugbys very well. I much prefer Canterbury of New Zealand, Gant, and Polo by Ralph Lauren (Custom Fit) for my Rugbys. HW

Fahim.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by filth
navy and black dont come in 28s? or are they sold out?

Unfortunately we are sold out in size 28 at the moment. However it's possible we may receive a re-stock, I'll send you a PM if we do.

Kensington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
Depends on your personal preferences, obviously. I think that a 7.5 - 8" leg opening works well on me, but YMMV.

If you get a tailor to taper, be aware that you're changing the way the pant looks, and if the pant isn't reasonably slim-ish to begin with, it could end up looking weird. If a pant is 10" in the knee and you want to taper it down to 7.5" in the leg, it's going to look bizarre. As a rule of thumb, I'd avoid going down more than one whole inch, but again YMMV. My tailor is a wizard, so if I took him the 10" pants I'm sure he could work something out.

Dropped them off today and went for 8" since that's what most of my other pants are. We'll see how it goes.

Does anyone know the opening for J Crew Urban fit? If it saves me a trip to the tailor I'll just stick with J Crew.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads