1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Slim Fit Khaki's/Chino's

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by imightbechad, Sep 6, 2007.

1. pinatapandemic

pinatapandemic Active Member

Would you guys recommend sizing down on the Jcrew essential chino in urban slim fit?

2. hboogz

hboogz Well-Known Member

I would and have sized down

3. BRMC_doves

BRMC_doves Well-Known Member

levis 1955 carpenter chinos anyone? will let go for much cheaper than retail. search my listing for detailed pics. 32 x 30
    [​IMG]

4. ComingUpEasy

ComingUpEasy New Member

5. blynch

blynch Well-Known Member

6. ubc121

ubc121 Well-Known Member

+1 to Epaulet rivet chinos. Got a pair of olive drab and they kick ass.

7. JTK

JTK Well-Known Member

Just received the SF Tapered Khaki in Tobacco. Love the look and quality! Anyone know how much these would shrink w/ wash and dry? The 32 will be a tad too big in the waist if they stretch too much, but should be fine if the waist shrinks a bit. Should have ordered the 31 as back up when they had free return shipping!

8. deadly7

deadly7 Well-Known Member

So I read through a few posts here, it seems none of the typical mall brands have any good chinos? Is this correct? I'm looking to buy a pair of black and navy/blue chinos to start with, preferrably at the $30-$60 per pair price range (assuming they'll last a few months of regular wear). Any suggestions? I don't have access to Manhattan, so any of the stores in NYC are out of the question. I'd also really like to try before I buy. Not looking for skinny girl pants slim, but something a bit more fitted would be nice.

9. enigma77

enigma77 Well-Known Member

Brooks Brothers Milano or J. Crew Urban Slim Fit/Classic Fit are probably your best bets for that price range.

Epaulet's rivet chinos are by far my favorite slim chinos, but they're $130-ish, which is outside your price range. The upcharge is well worth it, though. You'll wear those chinos forever. The fabrics are great. They tend not to stretch, too, which is an issue with J. Crew, for instance. I have to buy them so that they feel skin tight because the fabric stretches (i.e. if I buy them in a size that fits, well, after a month of wear they will have lost their original look).

I also have a pair of size 32 Save Khaki slim chinos that I was about to put on B&S if you're interested.

10. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Well-Known Member

Can anyone compare the Bonobos dress pants to BB Milano and/or JCrew Urban Slim? I liked the lighter Bonobos summer pants but haven't tried their dress pants and want to pick up a couple pairs in one of these three brands. Any comments on fit and quality of construction?

The Bonobos are slimmer than the Milanos. Lower rise as well. I haven't tried the JCrews. There's more vanity sizing going on with Bonobos than the Milanos--about one size (I buy 28 in Bonobos but would buy 29 in Milanos if they made that size.) Milanos are certainly more conservative in terms of cut.

Quality of construction--I haven't noticed any construction problems with my Bonobos. I own 5 pairs--three of them wool--and they've all gotten moderate use with no problems developing.

A question I wanna put out there--do Milanos shrink in the wash at all?

11. Conundrum

Conundrum Well-Known Member

What brand makes Denim Chino's?

12. Hot Dog Day #49

Hot Dog Day #49 Well-Known Member

13. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

14. ysb

ysb Well-Known Member

no mention of Blue in Green's chino offerings here, so I wanted to chime in. I bought a pair of the khaki color off of the B&S forum and loved the fit and construction so much that I bought them in navy as well. They're made of a really interesting material, mercerized cotton that gives it a sheen and seems to make it resist wrinkles. I kind of hope that the sheen fades a little with some wash and wear, but really looking forward to wearing these. I would also highly recommend Wings and Horns chinos.

15. Meis

Meis Well-Known Member

Tried on a pair of Gant Rugger's "vintage chino" when I was at Barneys today. Pretty nice cut; similar to W+H except w/out the cropped length. 7in leg opening for a 30w. I want to say they're $135.

16. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

17. Kensington

Kensington Well-Known Member

I picked up a pair of Uniqlo vintage chino pants today. 8 1/2" leg opening. [​IMG]

18. quicksilverXP

quicksilverXP Active Member

Just thought I'd let everyone know the fit of the Rugby university chinos. Rugby seemed to get the idea that their old chinos were boxy and they've definitely streamlined it. I got a 30x30 and the leg opening is 7.5 inches... exactly the same as Jcrew's Urban Slim fit. What I like about Rugby's chino more is that the knee width is a little bit wider and the thighs are a little slimmer than Jcrew's USF, so you don't get that super tapered look that you get with Jcrew's chinos. Also, the butt part is less prone to diapering in comparison to Jcrew's.

Just thought I'd give my two cents.

My favorite chinos are still Gant Rugger's vintage chinos and EM's of Mason's garment dyed chinos, but both are nearly 150.

19. Piroshky

Piroshky Well-Known Member

I would have to agree on the fabric + construction of the Epaulet's, although the cut didn't really work for my aesthetic.

Now JC's Urban Slims I could live in day in and day out.

20. Gagno905

Gagno905 Well-Known Member

I would have to agree on the fabric + construction of the Epaulet's, although the cut didn't really work for my aesthetic.

Now JC's Urban Slims I could live in day in and day out.

Can you expand on this? Are Epaulets skinnier than the Urban Slims?