• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim fit gray suit under $800

DStew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ESPNHD
Tried this one today. Might buy it at 40% off. Didn't see any difference in the "quality" between that suit and this suit I own: http://store-us.hugoboss.com/Slim-Fi...=27&cgid=21100
I have no idea what a lapel is. I'm a newbie.
If you don't know what a lapel is then I doubt anyone would expect you to be able to tell the difference between the "quality" of a boss suit and a bb 1818 suit. I am 6'4 and wear a 40L/34 waist. I take everything to my tailor. Any competent tailor can take a suit and make it fit just how you want. In your stated price range you can buy most anything you want and then spend 100$ on custom tailoring. That said, it really sounds like you like the style of boss suit (hyper thin lapels, flat front pants, short coats, etc....). Just stick with it if that's what you like. If you want to experiment then RL BL, Zegna, and a couple other modern suits might be up your alley with a little tailoring.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have black, brown and blue suits, so I need a gray one.

Under $800, slim fit. I'm a 40L, 34 waist. I like the cut of Hugo Boss, but obviously you folks here don't like the brand, so please give me suggestions!

Don't drink the haterade. Hugo Boss suits in the $700 range are fine. I have a couple of bespoke suits now but I still wear my Boss suits too. If you like the style, go ahead and buy.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For $150 more I'd say get the suit I just listed...

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...64#post4074764

But after reading this... I don't think it would be a good idea. It wouldn't be appreciated for what it is, and without you knowing your measurements/having bought online, it's probably not a good idea.
laugh.gif

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two BB Milano suits, both size 38R.
Both are very slim yet professional. Stylish in a classic sense without being trendy. The pants fit great and are very slim in the thigh (had to take them out.). I am 5'11'' 160 and had to actually let the back and center chest seams out a bit to get a good fit that wasn't like a straightjacket while still maintaining shape.

Bottom line, BB milano are excellent suits if they fit your body type and you like a softer shoulder. The quaility of made in Italy BB suits are excellent for the price and the fabrics (navy pin in Loro Piana wool and the light grey herringbone) are better than boss.

Just my two cents.

ESPNHD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Citan1145
I have two BB Milano suits, both size 38R.
Both are very slim yet professional. Stylish in a classic sense without being trendy. The pants fit great and are very slim in the thigh (had to take them out.). I am 5'11'' 160 and had to actually let the back and center chest seams out a bit to get a good fit that wasn't like a straightjacket while still maintaining shape.

Bottom line, BB milano are excellent suits if they fit your body type and you like a softer shoulder. The quaility of made in Italy BB suits are excellent for the price and the fabrics (navy pin in Loro Piana wool and the light grey herringbone) are better than boss.

Just my two cents.

yea the problem is they aren't trendy at all, like they are made for a 50 year old skinny man..

look at these pictures.. boss suit just looks better.

http://store-us.hugoboss.com/Slim-Fi...=27&cgid=21100
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea the problem is they aren't trendy at all, like they are made for a 50 year old skinny man..

look at these pictures.. boss suit just looks better.

http://store-us.hugoboss.com/Slim-Fi...=27&cgid=21100
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

Hahaha. Good point. Since you're on the Boss topic, have you checked out "Hugo" suits? That's Boss's so-called red label, which is a little slimmer and a little more mod than their regular Boss Black Slim Fit suits. They're made in Italy (at least the ones I saw), and may be a little more on the pricey side for Boss (i.e., above $700.

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree. The models on the BB website and their pictures are pretty terrible. Any suit with enough lighting, camera effects, model type, shirt, angle etc. can made to look "hip and trendy." In real life, the suits look very nice, modern, and still sophisticated enough for work or an interview. :shrug: maybe I am biased but I would rather get a suit that is slim and fits well than a trendy piece of crap that will look outdated in a few seasons. Just me.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you are a Boss fan, get an Awe/Holl model, if you can find one...slim fit without being constricting...as to it's quality, it's OK for what it is and when discounted

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
Don't drink the haterade. Hugo Boss suits in the $700 range are fine. I have a couple of bespoke suits now but I still wear my Boss suits too. If you like the style, go ahead and buy.

Pretty good advice, Im not sure I agree on the price though.

$700 is pretty close to MSRP for a Boss suit. The average person would be better off stumping up an extra $300 which could get him a pretty decent suit. Just my 2 cents. People obviously pay full retail on Boss, otherwise their prices would be cheaper.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finally you have answered my questions! You are not looking for a slim fitting suit, you are looking for a trendy suit.

You need to just go buy Hugo Boss. I'm not sure why you even started this thread. You own a bunch of Hugo Boss suits already, and you're comparing everything suggested here to Hugo Boss. Just go buy another Hugo Boss if that's what you like!

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Finally you have answered my questions! You are not looking for a slim fitting suit, you are looking for a trendy suit.

You need to just go buy Hugo Boss. I'm not sure why you even started this thread. You own a bunch of Hugo Boss suits already, and you're comparing everything suggested here to Hugo Boss. Just go buy another Hugo Boss if that's what you like!

+1 Nobody here is going to be able to suggest any "trendy" suits for you. If you like the other HB suits you already have, go out and buy another one.

ESPNHD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
+1 Nobody here is going to be able to suggest any "trendy" suits for you. If you like the other HB suits you already have, go out and buy another one.

I thought this was the "style" forum, not the "handscraftmanship" forum..

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought this was the "style" forum, not the "handscraftmanship" forum..

Exactly style not trendy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads