• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim fit for not so slim guy

TheSauceBoss

Reaction score
Hi,

After lurking here for a few weeks and being tired of wearing blousy shirts , l I took a walk over to Brooks Brothers last week and pulled the trigger on a MTM shirt. With discounts it came out to a bit over $100. Should be ready in a few weeks.

Yesterday I had some free time and took a walk to BB as they were pricing shirts at 3 for $199. I spoke to a salesman and tried on a couple of their REGULAR fit shirts. They were just as blousy around the waist as all my others were. He mentioned that I could get it tailored.

I then asked him for a slim fit to try on. He thought it would not fit me correctly as I am far from what anyone would consider slim as I am 6' ,225 lbs., and train daily. Chest is probably a 44, waist about a 36 on a good day. I have a 17.5" neck and 34" sleeves.

Well I tried it on and it was almost perfect! It fit me great around the chest and shoulders and was only a bit loose around the waist.

Slim huh? More like shirts should fit to begin with, at least for me.

As usual YMMV.

I'll report further as I wear them.

Bobby A

PS. First post here, be gentle.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
My experience is the same. I'm slim, if at all, only by post-1980 American standards (6', 185 lb), but really not at all, and still find the slim fit shirts to fit generously.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheSauceBoss
I am far from what anyone would consider slim as I am 6' ,225 lbs., and train daily. Chest is probably a 44, waist about a 36 on a good day. I have a 17.5" neck and 34" sleeves.

'Slim fit' does not really mean 'slim' as in 'skinny'. It just means 'not fat'. Regular fit shirts are generally made for fat people who have big waists. You may not be skinny, but you are in shape and you have an 8-inch drop, which means the more tapered slim-fit shirts will fit you better.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a similar build to you. 6'3 225 with a 44 in chest 36 waist 17 neck and 35 sleeves. I thought that even the slim fit shirts were too blousy so I bought the BB extra slim fit shirts. (just got them today, will try later) I'm hoping they have enough room in the chest and shoulders. Will report back later.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
"slim" is all relative.

in my experience, the fit of a shirt is more then just teh sum of the measurements. I have shirts that are just cut a certain way that they give a great shape, and are slim yet totally comfortable. I have others that are slim but constantly feel restrictive and all "wrong" when I move. So I guess I'm saying it's not all just about the numbers, the real "fit" is actually what makes a big difference.

TheSauceBoss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
'Slim fit' does not really mean 'slim' as in 'skinny'. It just means 'not fat'. Regular fit shirts are generally made for fat people who have big waists. You may not be skinny, but you are in shape and you have an 8-inch drop, which means the more tapered slim-fit shirts will fit you better.

I wish I would have known this. The description 'slim' must keep some people from even trying them. It did for me.

Originally Posted by Achilles_
I'm a similar build to you. 6'3 225 with a 44 in chest 36 waist 17 neck and 35 sleeves. I thought that even the slim fit shirts were too blousy so I bought the BB extra slim fit shirts. (just got them today, will try later) I'm hoping they have enough room in the chest and shoulders. Will report back later.

Please do as I am interested in what you think. I may go to BB tomorrow just to try an extra slim.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even say most makers mean non'fat when they say slim. Slim cut often is just made with less tolerance. If they make it with a 48 inch chest anybody with a smaller chest will fit. The slim would be made with a smaller chest that will fit less people.

Think of it like a range.

Relaxed would be cut oversized
Classic a little smaller
slim a little smaller .

So all "slim" tells you is it's smaller then the company's other cuts.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheSauceBoss
Please do as I am interested in what you think. I may go to BB tomorrow just to try an extra slim.

You just missed out on the 2 for $99 sale. They have a 3 for $200 right now though. I got the non-iron.

TheSauceBoss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
You just missed out on the 2 for $99 sale. They have a 3 for $200 right now though. I got the non-iron.

I picked up 3 slim, non-irons the other day. It was 3 for $200, less 15% for being a LEO.

Next time they have the 2 for $99 I will make sure to get there.

I will go tomorrow just to try an extra slim.

I also picked up a nice pair of Peal and Co. boots. Salesman knocked off 25%.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The boots look great! Let me know if they don't work for you
wink.gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum

This is especially true of BB shirts. I'm a legitimate slim-fit, as I'm 6'3" and 180 lbs. I only buy BB MTM shirts because even their "slim fit" shirts fit me like a tent.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a similar build to you but I prefer the extra slim in 17-35. Might want to try it on at least.

TheSauceBoss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
I am a similar build to you but I prefer the extra slim in 17-35. Might want to try it on at least.

Just got back from BB and they didnt have any extra slim in 17.5/34. He said they would be getting them in about a week or so.

Standing by......

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, switching to slim-fit shirts was a bit of a revelation for me. I'm 6'2, 195ish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads