• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

slim black suit + white shirt... hip or waiteresque?

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That can be a cool minimalist look, but everything has to fit really well. Better have some good shoes too.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
yea, on the right guy, with the right shirt/suit/tie/shoes, it's an amazingly killer look. on everyone else (99% of guys) it looks funereal/waiteresque

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
yea, on the right guy, with the right shirt/suit/tie/shoes, it's an amazingly killer look. on everyone else (99% of guys) it looks funereal/waiteresque

i am with GS on this i am a fan of this look but i would use a dark burgundy, purple or bottle green tie for this look during the day
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you on a mission from God?
[ ] Yes
[ ] No

If you checked off yes, then proceed. Don't forget your sunglasses. If you checked off no, can you bring me the wine list?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you are not slim then it will not work. Also, if the suit is cheap and dodgy in shape, like some high-schooler trying to be "GQ", then sartorial unhipness ensues, resulting in desperate clubwear for desperate people.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
If you are not slim then it will not work. Also, if the suit is cheap and dodgy in shape, like some high-schooler trying to be "GQ", then sartorial unhipness ensues, resulting in desperate clubwear for desperate people.

what is "dodgy" in shape? sorry for my ignorance.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
only a small segment of men can actually pull this off. like contract killers.
Photo-Poster-Reservoir-Dogs-19104.jpg

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
any thoughts?

I've seen lots of guys of all different shapes, sizes and demeanors pull it off but that does not mean anyone can do it. We don't know what you look like or exactly what you are going to wear so you won't get too much specific advice. Just be very confident you look and feel good in it because if you don't, if you have any second thoughts, everyone will be able to tell.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
I've seen lots of guys of all different shapes, sizes and demeanors pull it off but that does not mean anyone can do it. We don't know what you look like or exactly what you are going to wear so you won't get too much specific advice. Just be very confident you look and feel good in it because if you don't, if you have any second thoughts, everyone will be able to tell.

im young 20s, dark hair, althletic shape more thin than muscular, 6'1"

i would be confident, just dont want to come across as the staff haha

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on the suit. A black Yohji Yamamoto suit never looks like a waiter/funeral director.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
only a small segment of men can actually pull this off. like contract killers.
Photo-Poster-Reservoir-Dogs-19104.jpg

Most overrated movie ever... The look, no matter how it's worn, always makes me think the guy's gonna plunge his hand into my chest. Whoa.
smith1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads