• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim, affordable blazer

unmodern

Reaction score
There are a number of related threads out there, but nothing directly on this topic.

I am looking for a classic-styled navy blazer, in year-round or 3-season wool, or possibly corduroy, for under $300. The problem is, I'm something like a 34S, 35S, or a very slim 36S. It's hard enough to find brands that carry 36S, much less ones that are slim enough for me. For reference, 36S Fitzgerald cut at BB looked great on me (but it's too expensive---and I actually want something more substantial than their Fitzgerald blazer).

I am going to check out 36S Ludlow from J. Crew, although those blazers do fall a little above my price range. If that one fits, I may just have to pounce.

Banana Republic only does 36L (wtf?). I'm betting Anderson-Little 36S is going to be too big in the waist (I need at most a 34 or 35 waist to not look ridiculous).

I've been scouring *bay and vintage shops, but it's tough when you're out for one specific item.

I want classic details, no super-short length like CK or Lauren or Japanese brands.

Small guys, short of MTM or fashion brands, what do you do?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unmodern
Small guys, short of MTM or fashion brands, what do you do?

Go naked?

Unfortunately MTM (or bespoke) and certain fashion brands are pretty much the only option. If you're on the borderline, which it sounds like you are, then you might be able to get away with buying a 36 and having it tailored. Most good brands go down to 36, though often they don't make many so they sell out quick.

What is your exact chest measurement, using a tape-measure to measure around?

unmodern

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am just not at a point in my life where I can commission a MTM blazer. My measurements are: 35.5" chest, 29" waist, 32.5" sleeves, I'm 5'9" and somewhat athletic. 36R's tend to be too long. If they made 34S or 34R it would be perfect.

Reading some measurements online and on *bay it seems like 36S Ludlow fit from J. Crew might actually fit me very well. Does anyone have experience with their Ludlow blazers---the fabric looks a little suit-like and shiny online, and they don't have them in stores...

AEB A4

Reaction score
I'm actually really close to your measurements. I ordered a jcrew ludlow suit with both 36r and 36s jackets to see what one fits better. I got the 36r abd it seams a little long, and I'm waiting for the 36s to come in so I can return the 36r. The fabric isn't shiny. I can take actuall pictures if you want.

unmodern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AEB A4
I'm actually really close to your measurements. I ordered a jcrew ludlow suit with both 36r and 36s jackets to see what one fits better. I got the 36r abd it seams a little long, and I'm waiting for the 36s to come in so I can return the 36r. The fabric isn't shiny. I can take actuall pictures if you want.

Wait, did you get a suit or a blazer? I would expect the suits to be high-thread count and have that suit-like sheen. I just want a blazer to be more matte. But yes, if you have similar measurements I'd welcome photos!

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a classic-styled navy blazer, in year-round or 3-season wool, or possibly corduroy, for under $300. The problem is, I'm something like a 34S, 35S, or a very slim 36S.
If the Fitzgerald 36S was a good fit, and if you can afford to wait for BB's next semi-annual sale comes around, you could get this classic blazer for under $300. I'm fairly certain that it's more substantial than the Fitz, which is not fully lined.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

unmodern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
If the Fitzgerald 36S was a good fit, and if you can afford to wait for BB's next semi-annual sale comes around, you could get this classic blazer for under $300. I'm fairly certain that it's more substantial than the Fitz, which is not fully lined.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

Thanks for the heads up. So the 1818 is in (or close to) the Fitzgerald cut, even though the website doesn't say this?

Motol12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafooifan
How about making some money first before you spend it.

Didn't you wear Rubinacci while still in law school? How about practicing something before you preach it.

unmodern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafooifan
How about you go sod off, you stupid little ****?

Say, why don't you refrain from posting ignorant and arrogant comments when you don't know my situation at all? Kthanxbye.

spidercan

Reaction score
Im pretty sure this is an imposter posing as mathew fan. Notice the extra "I" in his name. Can you say troll?

twosnapsandgo

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am just not at a point in my life where I can commission a MTM blazer. My measurements are: 35.5" chest, 29" waist, 32.5" sleeves, I'm 5'9" and somewhat athletic. 36R's tend to be too long. If they made 34S or 34R it would be perfect.

Reading some measurements online and on *bay it seems like 36S Ludlow fit from J. Crew might actually fit me very well. Does anyone have experience with their Ludlow blazers---the fabric looks a little suit-like and shiny online, and they don't have them in stores...

No offense, you actually do not have a somewhat athletic shape at all. 29 waist does not equate with an athletic shape. Athletic is when you are well defined, muscular, and toned. You have a slender build and average height.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scohrdarkshadow
Probably should be banned too. Just my 2 cents.

In all fairness to Mafooifan, he's got
foo.gif
's personality pretty spot on, no?
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads