• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Slim, affordable blazer

unmodern

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2009
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
There are a number of related threads out there, but nothing directly on this topic.

I am looking for a classic-styled navy blazer, in year-round or 3-season wool, or possibly corduroy, for under $300. The problem is, I'm something like a 34S, 35S, or a very slim 36S. It's hard enough to find brands that carry 36S, much less ones that are slim enough for me. For reference, 36S Fitzgerald cut at BB looked great on me (but it's too expensive---and I actually want something more substantial than their Fitzgerald blazer).

I am going to check out 36S Ludlow from J. Crew, although those blazers do fall a little above my price range. If that one fits, I may just have to pounce.

Banana Republic only does 36L (wtf?). I'm betting Anderson-Little 36S is going to be too big in the waist (I need at most a 34 or 35 waist to not look ridiculous).

I've been scouring *bay and vintage shops, but it's tough when you're out for one specific item.

I want classic details, no super-short length like CK or Lauren or Japanese brands.

Small guys, short of MTM or fashion brands, what do you do?
 

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
5,059
Reaction score
135
Originally Posted by unmodern
Small guys, short of MTM or fashion brands, what do you do?

Go naked?

Unfortunately MTM (or bespoke) and certain fashion brands are pretty much the only option. If you're on the borderline, which it sounds like you are, then you might be able to get away with buying a 36 and having it tailored. Most good brands go down to 36, though often they don't make many so they sell out quick.

What is your exact chest measurement, using a tape-measure to measure around?
 

unmodern

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2009
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the reply. I am just not at a point in my life where I can commission a MTM blazer. My measurements are: 35.5" chest, 29" waist, 32.5" sleeves, I'm 5'9" and somewhat athletic. 36R's tend to be too long. If they made 34S or 34R it would be perfect.

Reading some measurements online and on *bay it seems like 36S Ludlow fit from J. Crew might actually fit me very well. Does anyone have experience with their Ludlow blazers---the fabric looks a little suit-like and shiny online, and they don't have them in stores...
 

AEB A4

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2010
Messages
70
Reaction score
0
I'm actually really close to your measurements. I ordered a jcrew ludlow suit with both 36r and 36s jackets to see what one fits better. I got the 36r abd it seams a little long, and I'm waiting for the 36s to come in so I can return the 36r. The fabric isn't shiny. I can take actuall pictures if you want.
 

unmodern

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2009
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by AEB A4
I'm actually really close to your measurements. I ordered a jcrew ludlow suit with both 36r and 36s jackets to see what one fits better. I got the 36r abd it seams a little long, and I'm waiting for the 36s to come in so I can return the 36r. The fabric isn't shiny. I can take actuall pictures if you want.

Wait, did you get a suit or a blazer? I would expect the suits to be high-thread count and have that suit-like sheen. I just want a blazer to be more matte. But yes, if you have similar measurements I'd welcome photos!
 

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2007
Messages
2,761
Reaction score
653
Originally Posted by unmodern
I am looking for a classic-styled navy blazer, in year-round or 3-season wool, or possibly corduroy, for under $300. The problem is, I'm something like a 34S, 35S, or a very slim 36S.
If the Fitzgerald 36S was a good fit, and if you can afford to wait for BB's next semi-annual sale comes around, you could get this classic blazer for under $300. I'm fairly certain that it's more substantial than the Fitz, which is not fully lined.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=
 

unmodern

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2009
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
If the Fitzgerald 36S was a good fit, and if you can afford to wait for BB's next semi-annual sale comes around, you could get this classic blazer for under $300. I'm fairly certain that it's more substantial than the Fitz, which is not fully lined.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=


Thanks for the heads up. So the 1818 is in (or close to) the Fitzgerald cut, even though the website doesn't say this?
 

Motol12

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2008
Messages
115
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by mafooifan
How about making some money first before you spend it.

Didn't you wear Rubinacci while still in law school? How about practicing something before you preach it.
 

unmodern

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2009
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by mafooifan
How about you go sod off, you stupid little shit?

Say, why don't you refrain from posting ignorant and arrogant comments when you don't know my situation at all? Kthanxbye.
 

spidercan

Senior Member
Joined
May 24, 2009
Messages
778
Reaction score
18
Im pretty sure this is an imposter posing as mathew fan. Notice the extra "I" in his name. Can you say troll?
 

twosnapsandgo

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2010
Messages
136
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by unmodern
Thanks for the reply. I am just not at a point in my life where I can commission a MTM blazer. My measurements are: 35.5" chest, 29" waist, 32.5" sleeves, I'm 5'9" and somewhat athletic. 36R's tend to be too long. If they made 34S or 34R it would be perfect.

Reading some measurements online and on *bay it seems like 36S Ludlow fit from J. Crew might actually fit me very well. Does anyone have experience with their Ludlow blazers---the fabric looks a little suit-like and shiny online, and they don't have them in stores...


No offense, you actually do not have a somewhat athletic shape at all. 29 waist does not equate with an athletic shape. Athletic is when you are well defined, muscular, and toned. You have a slender build and average height.
 

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
3,919
Reaction score
618
Originally Posted by scohrdarkshadow
Probably should be banned too. Just my 2 cents.

In all fairness to Mafooifan, he's got
's personality pretty spot on, no?
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,831
Messages
9,459,886
Members
198,249
Latest member
jalake0817
Top