• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slight Step Up In Style For Work

PunkinDonuts

Reaction score
At my job I have suddenly found myself advancing into management, and wanted to ask for some advice. I work at a company where the dress code would be best described as "casual business casual", and most of the department I work in wears your standard company provided polo shirt, jeans and loafers/sneakers. I have tried to step up my clothing choices slightly, and usually wear decent jeans (Varvatos USA/Commonwealth), a fairly nice untucked long-sleeved dress shirt (Thomas Pink/Takumi/Ben Sherman) and for shoes I wear either brown Frye James wingtips in brown or lead (grey) John Varvatos Star Strummer Oxfords. I am picking up a black waxed pair of Allen Edmonds McTavishes at the upcoming Nordstrom sale, and I also plan on looking into MTM shirts in the next couple months, as I'm close enough to Mytailor to stop into their Costa Mesa showroom for a fitting/purchasing trip.

I'm assuming some nice chinos would be next (suggestions?), and I'd also like to step up to some nice dress slacks to wear with a tie (the directors in my department have started something they call Tie Tuesdays, kind of an anti-casual Friday). Suits and jackets are pretty much off the menu, as even our executives don't dress that nicely on a regular basis and I'm not planning on showing anyone up.

I guess what I'm asking is what would be the easiest and non-wallet busting way to make that next step up in my wardrobe. I do like a lot of what is offered on Mr. Porter, but please see the previous comment regarding "non-wallet busting". Their sale items are much more my speed, financially :) Thanks in advance!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ben Sherman dress shirts aren't good quality.

Lands' End, L.L. Bean, J. Crew, etc. make decent chinos that aren't high-priced. Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren dress pants ought to be fine. This assumes the pants size is fairly normal. Don't get black.

Last edited:

AMProf

Reaction score
Tuck your shirt in first and foremost

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Non-wallet busting brands with chinos/shirts are j.crew, topman, ralph lauren, banana republic just to name a few.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is unfortunate you can't wear a jacket of some kind with your tie for "Tie Tuesdays." Can you get away with a V-neck sweater?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trousers from Howard Yount or Epaulet, MTM shirts from ModernTailor or Tailorstore (or, I suppose, MyTailor). OTC socks from Viccel. Shoes from AE. Selvedge jeans from APC, Edwin, Iron Heart, Nudie, etc.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trousers from Howard Yount or Epaulet, MTM shirts from ModernTailor or Tailorstore (or, I suppose, MyTailor). OTC socks from Viccel. Shoes from AE. Selvedge jeans from APC, Edwin, Iron Heart, Nudie, etc.

If you can visit Mytailor in person, I think it would be a good place to start. I've been with Mytailor for a while and am going to switch to Nialma unless their shirts are subpar. Their 4 for 3 deal results in a very good deal for Thomas Mason Silver shirts. For socks, I would recommend Marcoliani, available from Howard Yount. Viccel only makes solids and ribbed patterns, which I find very boring.

Squiddly

Reaction score
I'm in almost exactly the same boat except our "business casual" means no jeans. Pretty much everyone I work with wears khakis and polos from Wal-mart. There are a few preppy types who buy at Target. (Said with tongue firmly in cheek, for anyone who missed that.) I got promoted about a year ago and have slowly been stepping up my game. I'd have to go up three levels (my bosses bosses boss) at least before I found someone who wears a suit or jacket for other than the occasional special-purpose customer meeting. Despite that, I'm now wearing a blazer or odd jacket to work everyday, along with slacks, a tucked-in dress shirt and bucks or oxfords. I take off the jacket shortly after arriving and spend most of the day in my shirtsleeves, so it doesn't come off as too pretentious. I also keep the jackets and the slacks on the casual side - my general rule of thumb is to make sure the material is soft and textured, NOT smooth or shiny. To help with the wallet-busting aspect, I've slowly worked on my wardrobe over time. Don't try to do it all in a weekend. I'm still trying to figure this whole style thing out and make no claim to be an expert, but that's working well for me so far.

PunkinDonuts

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses, all!

@memsimageconsultant: I have been looking at the Brooks Brothers sale for chinos (I'm a 34x34, so a pretty regular size), but the Nordstrom sale is starting soon as well.

@Quadcammer: lol, no. I'm in IT (so, close I guess :))

@joe4u: Agreed, they are all dark jeans.

@Sanguis Motuum: Amazing choices, all of them. Thank you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads