• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sleeveless clothing, what's your take?

benchan

Reaction score
What's you guys' opinion on wearing items like sleeveless Ts and hoodies? Or all sleevless items should only be worn for sports and in the gym?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benchan
What's you guys' opinion on wearing items like sleeveless Ts and hoodies? Or all sleevless items should only be worn for sports and in the gym?

Tough to pull off. Very tough. If you have narrow shoulders, skinny shoulders or shoulders with no muscle tone, it just looks pathetic. On the other hand, if you have really muscular shoulders, you stand a good chance of looking like you're halfway through a hipster strip show. Unlike, say, a tee or hoodie with sleeves, both of which are hard to get wrong, there is a very small margin for error. Let me think. Brad Pitt could pull it off. That's all I could come up with.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ill run in sleeveless tops, but otherwise wont wear them at all

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's sleeveless, it had better be fitted and you had better be fit. That said, it definitely can work very well. Usually doesn't.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only sleeveless clothing should be pants.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
The only sleeveless clothing should be pants.
diana_hoodie.jpg
I disagree.

Panerai118

Reaction score
Unless you have the muscular definition, stay away from them.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I think its best right in between. Defined, but still trim. Brad Pitt is a perfect example. Too buff and you look like youre trying too hard. Too skinny and you look like a stick, or even skinnier.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
You better be in shape and look good enough to pull it off...

I wear sleeveless shirts to the gym, but haven't seen fit to wear any out in public yet. After I add another inch or two to my arms, I might reconsider.

Plus - sleeveless shirts means you need to consider whether you're going to shave or trim your underarm hair
confused.gif

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
You better be in shape and look good enough to pull it off...

I wear sleeveless shirts to the gym, but haven't seen fit to wear any out in public yet. After I add another inch or two to my arms, I might reconsider.

Plus - sleeveless shirts means you need to consider whether you're going to shave or trim your underarm hair
confused.gif

I got hair on my arms, I don't think it would look good: I vote "no" for sleeveless. !luc

phaedrus

Reaction score
Females can pull it off really well, even in a more formal environment too.

phaedrus

Reaction score
Yeah, I think Benchan was looking for discussion on sleevless dudes. I guess Arethusa's pic prompted my remark.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an example of a dude who can pull this off? Because I can't think of one. Maybe an A-tee on occasion, under a jacket or something.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do wife beaters count? :p

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads