• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sleeve tags

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I remove tags from scarves, handkerchiefs and pocket squares as soon as I buy them. They are just a constant annoyance.
The only reason I could see keeping them is to sell, but those people that buy clothes with the intention of selling them after they are used are likely the same who wore tags on their sleeves in another life.

Good to know. I did not know what the proper etiquette is. At least on a scarf it is hidden.

It's a double-edged sword. On one side - yes, you do show people that you can afford a designer-name suit, on the other - you show that money really can't buy class.

On a side note, I always wondered what is the purpose of those sleeve tags to begin with?!?

What? There is no double-edge sword here. Usually people who do this are wearing cheap, crappy suits. I have never seen a Kiton or TF sleeve tag worn so all the wearer is telling me is that they are wearing something that they think is awesome (or my least favorite word "fancy").

The purpose is so that when it is in the store on the rack, it is easier to find and organize--nothing more.

Last edited:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good to know. I did not know what the proper etiquette is. At least on a scarf it is hidden.
What? There is no double-edge sword here. Usually people who do this are wearing cheap, crappy suits. I have never seen a Kiton or TF sleeve tag worn so all the wearer is telling me is that they are wearing something that they think is awesome (or my least favorite word "fancy").
The purpose is so that when it is in the store on the rack, it is easier to find and organize--nothing more.

I have never seen a sleeve tag on a high end suit Kiton/Tom Ford/ Attolini. Well maybe Isaia, Zegna and the size/model tag on the end of a sleeve of a Brioni. And even then they take it off when they tailor the suit for you. But i think Armani Collizoni which is made by Zegna now does the sleeve tag thing and its not a stretch to imagine some people request it to be left on lol

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The worst ones are those who deliberately leave tag on of designer lines that are made for the plebs and expecting others to be impressed. Very much the people who think they're the **** wearing A|X logo rubbish.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what i've seen, the people who do this just don't know any better and are not trying to show off. They see thread holding it on and think that its just a part of the coat.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I say you be right when you also see that their vents are still sewn shut.

atlrus

Reaction score

I
My point exactly :)
What I was getting at was that while people leave the tag to impress with some designer name, they are actually showing people that they don't know the first thing about wearing a suit...

And I agree that some people really dont know about the sleeve label or vents. Clearly they also dont know that an OTR suit should be tailored. When I buy OTR suit I take it to my tailor and I always get it back ready to wear - labels removed, vents cut open, etc. Never had to ask for it, but it is always done.

tan1415

Reaction score
I still have my tag on my Woolrich X Loro Piana.
Just because I am so happy to be able to get one and I am happy whenever I can see the tag..
In one coat I have a LoroPiana Cashmere and a Woolrich Parka fopr my collection..

papa kot

Reaction score
In certain circles of Western Civilization, there is a saying "money talks, but wealth whispers." When applied to dress code, it is typical for some in the know to keep the labels down, so that your shirts and jackets look average to an untrained eye. That is not a norm in the rest of the world.

In India, South Asia, and other parts of the world, brands matter. If you wear something nice-ish in Bangalore, be prepared to hear questions such as "what brand is it?" The questions won't come from total strangers but folks who you may know somewhat well. The idea is simple: If you can afford something, you are successful. And people respect successful people. In some markets, like Russia, this line of thinking is taking an extreme as people tie quality directly to price. Some won't buy a well-made item on sale because it is "cheap." Absurd? Yes, but to each their own.

A local watch dealer once told me that for some time most of his extremely expensive watches and other jewelry went to the Asian market where showing up to a meeting with a $40K Patek signals authority. He had clients buying "meeting" watches just for that reason...

Norms also go both ways. It is hilarious to see decked out American tourists in Latin American countries where you can definitely lose an arm for the crime of wearing a Rolex. My suggestion to anyone: learn the norms of the place where you live.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads