1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sleeve size

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by d.h., May 21, 2004.

1. d.h.

d.h. Well-Known Member

I went to Brookes Brothers today to try on their "Slim Fit" line. (Didn't seem very slim to me, but I digress.)

Anyway, the salesman measured me and said I was a 34" sleeve size. When I tried the shirt on, it seemed that the cuff pulled way too far (well over an inch) behind my wrist as a bent my arm. The salesman said it was fine, but it didn't seem right to me.

He measured me with my arm hanging straight down. I was always under the impression that one was measured with his arm bent, hand on the waist with the elbow close to a 90 degree angle. I'm I right about this? Am I just crazy?

Sorry for the long post, but I was just wondering.

2. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

I've always measured my sleeve length with my arm straight down at my side.

I think, to a certain extent, cuff length is a matter of personal preference. I like my shirt sleeves on the long side, while I generally ask my tailor to cut my suit jacket sleeves a quarter inch shorter than they first measure. I guess I like to show a bit more cuff than many people.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I always read that the rule was that at least ½ inch of cuff should show. On some of my jacket, you can see almost that much, and on others you can see a bit less. I think it looks a lot better that just ½ or 1/8 (or nothing at all) of the cuff showing. What is the point of cufflinks if you can't see them when you raise or cross your arms?

Jon.

4. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

Nope - you are not crazy. The sleves have to be measured with the elbow bent. This is just an example of how uninformed sales staff are, even at BB.

B