1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sleeve lining

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by naturlaut, Sep 26, 2004.

1. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior Member

All ready-made makers we know use a different lining for the sleeve. Maybe my fingers are not sensitive enough, I really don't feel any difference between the body lining and the sleeve lining. And why are they mostly white-based?

For kind of lining do you usually use/prefer (bemberg, silk, rayon)?

2. Nick M

Nick M Distinguished Member

I was just going to ask this question myself. An addendum: Why striped?

3. FIHTies

FIHTies Distinguished Member

This way its easy to find the hole if you are getting dressed in the dark... [​IMG] JJF

4. DMully

DMully Member

I was just going to ask this question myself.

An addendum: Why striped?

I know this is an older thread, but looking through the archive, I'd like to know the answer to this as well!

5. HalfCanvas

HalfCanvas Senior Member

I think it has to be for reasons other than functionality. One thing I've noticed is that, although one generally does not see a coat's body lining while someone is wearing it, the same is not true of sleeve lining. When somebody's arms are resting on a table or such, you can clearly see the sleeve lining. A fancy or proprietary sleeve lining might once have been a signal to others that the coat was made by a reputable maker.