• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sleeve length

Zabel

Reaction score
I love 80s London, but I may be trying to follow to much of it. I leave my jacket sleeve a bit longer than where my writs are, always covering up my shirts.

Should I just wear whatever is comfortable with myself? or Should I try to be up-to-date guy and show 1/4~1/2 inch of my shirts? In other words, would covering your shirt be another way of expressing yourself or just being dumb?

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The "up to date" guy shows an inch and a half or more of cuff. Don't be him. Just a sliver is ideal, IMO.

Also, make sure your shirt cuffs fall in the right place before having your suits altered.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds like your trying to justify your too long jacket sleeves as expression. Take it to a good tailor and have them brought up. You will find that you are probably more comfortable with a proper fitting coat than not.

trt2000

Reaction score
It's not a fad, 1/2" has been showing for a century.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as sleeve length for dress shirts, is the sleeve supposed to be touching the bottom of the palm when your hands are down? I've read its just supposed to be past the boney part b/t the hand and wrist. Is this correct?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's not a fad, 1/2" has been showing for a century.

Do you have any citations to prove this? I have spent years and years researching this painstakingly. It's been a journey like hunting the bottom of Loch Ness looking for my monster. Alas, I cannot find any evidence that there ever was a steafast 1/2" rule. I am afraid this and are few other Eternal Rules of Permanent Style repeated so often that they have become The Truth are really more like a sartorial myths of at best a personal preference. Of course, a couple of books do mentions this as a guide eg Roetzel but these are all extremely recent. I have found all manner of things stated as correct from no shirt sleeve showing, to 1/8" showing, to whatever you prefer. The last is probably the commonest, and probably the most correct.

Fashion also plays a role. Old photos suggest that at times such as the '60s when coats, and trousers hems are short so too were coat sleeves. So if you wear Thom Browne you should show a lot of shirt sleeve to keep things in harmony:

Thom-Browne.jpg

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As far as sleeve length for dress shirts, is the sleeve supposed to be touching the bottom of the palm when your hands are down? I've read its just supposed to be past the boney part b/t the hand and wrist. Is this correct?

The shirt sleeve should not really reach your palm. Just past the bony part sounds about right; I like my jacket sleeve to end at the bony part (the radial styloid process?) and shirt cuff to extend 1/4" past that.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The shirt sleeve should not really reach your palm. Just past the bony part sounds about right; I like my jacket sleeve to end at the bony part (the radial styloid process?) and shirt cuff to extend 1/4" past that.

Thank you, my sleeve length reaches just to the start of the palm and I thought it was too long. It's frustrating though b/c a 33 is not quit long enough so I would technically need to shorten the sleeves of a 34 for it to be right, and thats an additional $15-25 depending where i take it.

tgt465

Reaction score

Thank you, my sleeve length reaches just to the start of the palm and I thought it was too long. It's frustrating though b/c a 33 is not quit long enough so I would technically need to shorten the sleeves of a 34 for it to be right, and thats an additional $15-25 depending where i take it.

You should be able to make minor adjustments to how your sleeve lies by moving the button on the cuff. If your sleeve is too long by less than an inch, tightening the wrist by moving the button inwards may help keep the sleeve from falling too far down. You should be able to do this at home for free.

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Before Reevolving or Iroh ask: how much sock should show beyond pants cuffs?

:confused:

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You should be able to make minor adjustments to how your sleeve lies by moving the button on the cuff. If your sleeve is too long by less than an inch, tightening the wrist by moving the button inwards may help keep the sleeve from falling too far down. You should be able to do this at home for free.

Great suggestions! I will try this, it doesn't really "shorten" the sleeve just doesn't allow it as much wiggle to move.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads