Sleeve Length: Sport Coat/Blazer vs. Suit Coat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by C.G., Jan 20, 2008.

1. C.G.

C.G. New Member

Is the sleeve length of a sport coat / blazer suppose to be the same length as a suit coat?

I just purchased an E. Zegna sport coat that is being tailored. The sleeve length just covered my shirt sleeves. I was going to have them shortened but the tailor and the Zegna sales rep (Nieman Marcus @ The Westchester) said it looked good. When I inquired, they said it is looks good for a sport coat or blazer to have slightly longer sleeves than a suit coat.

Thank you for your comments in advance. [​IMG]

2. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Perhaps they assumed you would sometimes want to wear it with a short sleeved shirt?

3. neon

neon Active Member

I don't think there's any logic in assuming blazer sleeves should be longer than in suit jacket. I stick with half an inch of the shirt cuffs for both.

4. JimInSoCalif

JimInSoCalif Senior member

My suit coats and sport coats all measure the same distance from the end of my thumb. I wear them with a lot of the same shirts so it only makes sense, at least to me, that they should be the same length.

Cheers, Jim.

5. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

This may be an over generalization, but sales people and tailors tend to suggest overly long jacket sleeve length. Many times you have to insist on showing the cuff. I think showing cuff is applicable to both suit jackets and sportscoats/blazers. But if you want a jacket in your wardrobe that doesn't show cuff, that's cool too.

6. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

My suit coats and sport coats all measure the same distance from the end of my thumb. I wear them with a lot of the same shirts so it only makes sense, at least to me, that they should be the same length.

Cheers, Jim.

Agreed.

7. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

it costs the store money to have the sleeve shortened.
    thats the simple answer.

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Stores tend to want to leave sleeves and pants longer. It is common for me to have a little back and forth with a tailor at a Dept store to get the sleeves or pants the length I like.

I try and wear a jacket or tailored pants (vs. jeans) when I have clothing marked so I can show what I like using my current clothing as reference.

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

The last time I had pants tailored in a department store, the tailor made them more than an inch longer than I had wanted and made the cuff a half inch small. You would be better off taking your alterations to a real tailor.

10. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sometimes I'll have a sport coat with slightly longer sleeves, especially if it's a summer jacket. I'm not saying that I don't regret some of those, but sleeves tailored to show the right amount of cuff look really dumb when worn with short sleeves.

But, yes-- department store tailors (including the one at Louis Boston) seem to prefer sleeves and trouser legs much too long.

11. C.G.

C.G. New Member

Thank you for your replies. Since the jacket was 50% off, I was paying for the alterations. So it confused me even more when I questioned their agreement on the length.

I decided to let them do the other minor tailoring required and then take it to my tailor to shorten the sleeves.

All the best! [​IMG]

12. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

You would be better off taking your alterations to a real tailor.

It's good advice especially when there is a sale going on. The added volume of work for tailors at retail stores seems to lead to more errors.

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I, too, have been frustrated by department store tailors hemming both pants and jacket sleeves much too long.