• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sleeve length, again

goretexman

Reaction score
Yes, I know there's a gazillion sleeve length threads already... At least this one has pictures!

So, based on the attached picture, should I keep up the quest for the elusive 15/36 slimfit shirt, or should I go with 15/35 and have my jacket sleeves tailored a bit shorter?

(Try to ignore the jeans, and the sub-par ironing job on the TML cuff...)

SoundItOff

Reaction score
I personally think the 15/36 is better.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoundItOff
I personally think the 15/36 is better.

It definitely is better than the 15/35, and it looks good to me, but I'm not exactly sure if that's the "correct" length. The experts on SF might be able to provide more advice.

Personally though, I don't think tailoring your jacket sleeve to match whatever RTW shirt you buy is an optimal solution. There are rules on where the sleeve (of both jacket and shirt) is supposed to fall in relation to your wrist/hand, and I think that's how you should approach it. In particular, the sleeve of the 15/35, in this case, is too short for you in my opinion, and if you alter the length of your jacket sleeve to match the 15/35, you will end up "spoiling" your jackets i.e. they will have the "wrong" sleeve length.

My approach is to have a bespoke shirt with a good tailor with a good knowledge of the "rules" proportions i.e. how long the sleeves should be, and then use the shirt as a benchmark. I then base my RTW acquisitions and alterations on the benchmark.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The 15/36 looks better IMO. As stated above, altering the jackets to fit the length of the shirt sleeves may result in a jacket with sleeves too short. I have the same problem as I also need a 36 sleeve, but I've found them to be readily available MTM, online, and of course bespoke.

mdg137

Reaction score
The sleeves are too long on the jacket-- hence, the "too long" shirt sleeve becomes necessary if you want to show cuff.

Have a tailor measure you, to get an idea of the correct jacket sleeve length.-- For example, I prefer my jacket sleeves to end 4.25 inches from the tip of my thumb. Once I had that measurement down, I have all my jackets made or altered to that length.

Correct fitting shirts, then take care of themselves.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cuffs on both shirts are too wide.

The shorter shirt is ending at about the right place, but for the wrong reason.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads