• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sleeve buttons question--nitpicking?

mdg137

Reaction score
I am entertaining the offer from a friend to purchase a blazer that is a perfect fit for me, including sleeve length, which, with me, is often a challenge.

The price would be a tremendous deal-- outstanding.

The only sticking point for me is that he had functional sleeve buttons done, which were hand done, not machine- beautiful-- but, the buttons are slightly spaced, not "kissing", or touching.

Not a big enough space to really call attention, about 2mm apart.

All things being equal, given the hand done button holes, and the price being good, would the spacing be a deal breaker for you?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One certain thing about having a little detail not to your liking is that it distracts from your joy of wearing the garment, and therefore make you feel self-conscious and therefore make you uncomfortable and not self-confident.

This particular case would bother me enough to nix the deal. I have sewn my own sleeve buttons (faux-buttonholes) just so that they Kiss or stack.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
YOu will be in a bar one night. hitting on some beautiful woman. she will be interested in you until she notices the spacing of the buttons on your non bespoke jacket!
non kissing buttons can be such a deal breaker with the opposite sex.

you are being nitpicking.

highball

Reaction score
Could you buy a set of slightly larger diameter buttons and have your tailor sew them on? Not sure if this is possible but it's the first thing that came to mind. I imagine you would have to buy a full set of matching buttons though (including the front jacket buttons).

Eccentric

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
One certain thing about having a little detail not to your liking is that it distracts from your joy of wearing the garment, and therefore make you feel self-conscious and therefore make you uncomfortable and not self-confident.

This particular case would bother me enough to nix the deal. I have sewn my own sleeve buttons (faux-buttonholes) just so that they Kiss or stack.

It is nitpicking, but at the same time I agree entirely with the above post. Sometimes we have to nitpick to be content.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by highball
Could you buy a set of slightly larger diameter buttons and have your tailor sew them on? Not sure if this is possible but it's the first thing that came to mind. I imagine you would have to buy a full set of matching buttons though (including the front jacket buttons).

My thought as well. Change the buttons. No big.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Lee's point. In this case, the other factors - fit, price - considered, it might just be one of those details you'll 'notice' less and less over time.

Just don't post it on WAYWRN or this lot might make you all self-conscious about it again.
devil.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven

you are being nitpicking.

Originally Posted by Cary Grant
nitpicking

Originally Posted by Eccentric
It is nitpicking, but at the same time I agree entirely with the above post. Sometimes we have to nitpick to be content.

What's the point of participation on SF if we are just satisfied with the simple OK.

Hell no, we want PERFECT. We will nitpick unitl perfection is achieved.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perfect in every way other than this, and you are getting it at a really good price? Yes, that is nitpicking. If you want it perfect, pay full retail!
smile.gif

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By it's definition, perfection can never be achieved. By the OP's description and your definition, if the button holes are the only thing standing between him and what he otherwise says is "oustanding", I'd say it's a very acceptable step down the path towards "perfect."

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eccentric
I think you need to be content with the purchase. There are times I'll compromise on a detail or two, but I've found that if I'm not completely comfortable with a garment I don't wear it.

mdg137

Reaction score
Thanks for the input--

Turns out, the tailor he employed to do the working button holes is an elderly man from Italy, and was trained to do them in that style-- so it was more a stylistic thing than a sloppy job.

Given the quality of the jacket, and the price, and the fit, Im going to snag it while I have the chance!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdg137
Thanks for the input--

Turns out, the tailor he employed to do the working button holes is an elderly man from Italy, and was trained to do them in that style-- so it was more a stylistic thing than a sloppy job.

Given the quality of the jacket, and the price, and the fit, Im going to snag it while I have the chance!

Sounds good... Pics?

flatsixcrazy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I have sewn my own sleeve buttons (faux-buttonholes) just so that they Kiss or stack.

Hi Lee, could you tell us a little about how one can sew buttonholes?. I am very interested in learning how to sew buttonholes myself but I have not had any success in finding the information on Google. TIA. Andy

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads