• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sleeve buttons on suits

HitMan009

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have been noticing a trend in suits lately to have the buttons on the sleeves overlap each other. Now I have seen this quite a few years ago but now I am beginning to see a lot of it. Can someone please give me details as to who started this trend or maybe it's been around for a long time, I don't know . I personally think they look nice. I would like to know some history on this style of fastening the buttons and what each of your preferences are...

Thanks
-HitMan009

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it seems that "kissing" buttons are more common with the high-end suits. I don't know if either is really correct. People don't use their sleeve buttons much these days, anyways, unless they went bespoke, and even then more for show than utility.

Most of my suits have buttons going the usual way, but the one I'm having made now has the buttons kissing. I wanted it just for variety. It looks kind of cool.

I have a question that's somewhat related: How big should the gap be between my jacket sleeve's edge and the bottom edge of the first sleeve button? I've heard everything from 3/4ths of an inch to 1 and 1/2 inch from the sleeve end.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I prefer the buttons to "kiss" and the space between the bottom of the last/first button and the end of the sleeve to be 3/4".

masterfred

Reaction score
Probably more of a stylistic preference; I've noted that a good many high-end Italian suits tend to use the overlapped button arrangement, and tout it as an Italian stylistic convention. However, I've seen pictures of English gents from the 1930s wearing their bespoke sports jackets with overlapping sleeve buttons. I prefer a kissing button arrangement personally.............

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's an essential difference between the English and the Italians:

English call buttons in this configuration "stacked".

Italians call them "kissing".

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
I was just at a Neiman-Marcus special evening sale Thursday in Beverly Hills and got into a discussion with the sales person in the Suit Dept.

The waterfall, or overlap button arrangement evidently came from Napoli tailors.

The main disadvantage is that stacked buttons could not be utilized for working buttons on jacket sleeves. Even kissing buttons are sometimes too close together to be actually workable.

So if you're wearing a suit with stacked buttons, I have to assume that they are not working buttons.

And the "standard" distance between the bottom of the jacket sleeve and the first button is 1 1/4 inches.

Andy

marc39

Reaction score
My tailor in NYC, who has been a bespoke tailor for several decades, uses the "kissing" style. The reason for kissing is to indicate that the buttons are "imperfectly" aligned, suggesting the suit is handmade, not machine made.

Mr_Sweden

Reaction score
The main disadvantage is that stacked buttons could not be utilized for working buttons on jacket sleeves.   Even kissing buttons are sometimes too close together to be actually workable.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. Ermenegildo Zegna uses stacked buttons on there sleeves even with working buttonholes.

I asked my tailor to do this on a jacket with unfinished sleeves and it was no problem at all.

/Mr Sweden

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but that's just not true. Ermenegildo Zegna uses stacked buttons on there sleeves even with working buttonholes.

I was thinking the same thing as I just listed a couple of Zegna garments with working buttonholes and stacked buttons. But, in Andy's defense this arrangement doesn't work that well - the buttons end up looking jumbled...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads