• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sleeping on long flights

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
Final question- anyone ever gotten in trouble for sprinting away from their assigned seat and stealing an empty row before cruising altitude?

No. I do it as soon as I am certain no more people are boarding the plane. Flight attendants have no clue who sits where.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coldarchon
cant believe you still provide "help" like that after I posted that link ..

HAHAHAAHAH, that is really funny. You think people read the random links in these treads?

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
You think people read the random links in these treads?

I dont even expect them to read at all. but the link provides a very logic insight, if you use any sort of drugs to sleep there is a higher chance of a thrombosis in your blood because you dont move in your sleep when using sleeping pills to get comatose. there is a reason why you get socks on long flights to take your shoes off. if you dont move for several hours theres a chance a blood clot will kill you when you then move ..

dune

Reaction score
Just my two cents: I try to move my sleeping rhythm halfway towards my destination before I leave. I'm used to wild swings anyway, and being a bit tired doesn't matter much because it makes it easier to sleep on the plane.

ysb

Reaction score
interesting that this thread is here now. I'm flying back to the states today from Australia. Xanax is your friend. I used to get it from friends or load up when I'd go to Thailand but I travel so much now that I ended up getting my own prescription so that I have a legit prescription bottle.

anyways, yes +1 on window, some kind of pillow or a sweatshirt you can roll up and pills.

Jack: What do you take to fly?
Liz: Candy and magazines.
Jack: No no. Pills. Nobody flies without medication anymore. Why shouldn't you enjoy the same luxuries as a dog?
Liz: Comanaprosil? May cause dizziness, sexual nightmares, and sleep crime.
Jack: It's very good.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Anyone who takes offense to this is a douche.

I agree with this, but I'm pretty misanthropic to begin with.

On one of my last flights I reclined my seat and the guy behind me asked me to sit back up. I started to tell him to pound sand but it was just a one-hour flight and I was with my g/f and decided it wasn't worth being confrontational. Gotta say that was the first time I've ever heard that, though.

ZhiMingBuFanDe

Reaction score
I never sleep on flights. :/

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
I agree with this, but I'm pretty misanthropic to begin with.

On one of my last flights I reclined my seat and the guy behind me asked me to sit back up. I started to tell him to pound sand but it was just a one-hour flight and I was with my g/f and decided it wasn't worth being confrontational. Gotta say that was the first time I've ever heard that, though.

No idea why he wanted you to sit back up, but I have to do this all the time on airplanes. At 6'5" my knees are already digging into the seat in front of me when it's upright. Want to try guessing how comfortable it gets when it starts reclining?

We're not talking mild uncomfort here. It's simply not possible for me to sit behind a reclined seat. I try to be as polite as possible when I tell the person in front it's not going to work, but it's difficult with all the noise and clogged ears...

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Melatonin dosage varies by person. I can get by with 0.5 grams. 1 gram would keep me down for 8 to 10 hours, no problem.

On recent trip, woman in front of me leaned back quickly, jammed my knees - and without thinking I reacted by slamming my hand up against the offending/incoming chair. It got the point across.

UpperWestie

Reaction score
Is it in bad form to recline your seat all the way back, even gently, when flying coach/seats with limited leg room?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UpperWestie
Is it in bad form to recline your seat all the way back, even gently, when flying coach/seats with limited leg room?
didnt we answer that like five posts ago?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by obiter dictum
No idea why he wanted you to sit back up, but I have to do this all the time on airplanes. At 6'5" my knees are already digging into the seat in front of me when it's upright. Want to try guessing how comfortable it gets when it starts reclining?

We're not talking mild uncomfort here. It's simply not possible for me to sit behind a reclined seat. I try to be as polite as possible when I tell the person in front it's not going to work, but it's difficult with all the noise and clogged ears...

No offense but, I think you either need to start sitting in exit only rows (a lot of airlines charge you extra to choose these rows prior to check in) or you need to start flying outside of coach or only on airlines that have a little more leg room.

The fact that you don't fit should not be the limiting factor in the guy in front of you's comfort. Do you still recline your seat? They make super-fat people buy larger/extra seats...and I say this as a tall person as well.

Overall though, I would prefer it if you sue the airlines and force them to include slightly more legroom or reserve exit rows for those over 6'

obiter dictum

Reaction score
A limiting factor in the guy in front of you's comfort? Yeah, not being able to recline your seat for one flight is torture.

I never recline my seat unless the seat behind me is empty, to answer your question.

Even if business class seats were available (they aren't, no norwegian local airlines have business class) I couldn't afford it on my student economy. I haven't noticed any real difference in leg room in the airlines we have available here either.

Of course I do my best to get the emergency exit or first row seats when I order tickets, but they're usually already taken.

How about we all just show a little consideration for our fellow man instead.

volatility smile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
The fact that you don't fit should not be the limiting factor in the guy in front of you's comfort. Do you still recline your seat? They make super-fat people buy larger/extra seats...and I say this as a tall person as well.

Maybe it shouldn't, but I don't think that absolves him from at least doing the decent, human thing and asking the person behind him if it's all right if he reclines his seat. If he doesn't, and he reclines without even looking, all sorts of **** can happen - laptops on tray tables, tall people with bad knees, and who knows what else... hell, I've even seen a baby in a parent's lap get smacked in the head by the top of a seat when an inconsiderate ass reclined without even looking behind him.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Clean
No. I do it as soon as I am certain no more people are boarding the plane. Flight attendants have no clue who sits where.
So do I. If the doors close or it's obvious that everyone is aboard and there is an empty row, then I'm in it, pronto.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads