• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sleek Derbies?

kofi

Reaction score
I've been searching for awhile and can't seem to find many non-chunky derbies/bluchers that are both affordable and well-constructed (e.g. Goodyear welted).

On the high end there are plenty of beautiful models, e.g. John Lobb and Edward Green:

http://www.johnlobb.com/us/philip-ii-derby
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Edwar...ar_MH00330_Color=BRWN&contentpos=32&cgid=0522

If I could afford those EG babies I'd buy them in a heartbeat. Unfortunately they're a bit out of my price range. On the lower end I've seen some reasonable looking models from places like Suit Supply, but my guess is that they're probably glue jobs.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. So far the best I've seen are the CJ Prestwoods (which seem to be discontinued) and Ralph Lauren's Gittens (which is of unknown quality).

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
E Clifton's are very not clunky...actually a bit narrow for my tastes

kofi

Reaction score
AE Clifton's are very not clunky...actually a bit narrow for my tastes
Thanks for the suggestion - funnily enough I already have a pair of the Cliftons! Unfortunately they don't fit very well. I'm usually a 10D but settled on a 9.5E for the Cliftons to get and still get a bit of heel slip.

kofi

Reaction score

Yeah, Meermin was one of my first thoughts, but their derby selection is fairly limited (no simple cap toe brown blucher) and only appears to be on the wider lasts. They do have a couple pairs of split toe bluchers for Linea Maestro, but that's not quite what I'm after.

Exdeath

Reaction score

kofi

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads