1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sleazy Ebay Seller

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by saint, Aug 29, 2006.

1. saint

saint Distinguished Member

I wanted to get some advice from you guys. I recently won a jacket on Ebay (RLBL Corneliani, country sort of jacket, tweed etc). There was no minimum price stated or buy it now price. The seller contacted me the other day and said that after the auction closed someone else offered him $100 more than my winning bid for the jacket. He said I could either pay the difference or he'd sell to the other person. I told him I expect him to honor the contract. However, he is a relatively new Ebayer and this is his first sale. Is it worth dealing with a scumbag like this and trying to get the jacket, or is it better to drop the deal and flame him on the feedback.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

He's not trustworthy...stay away. Also, email ebay and complain about what he did. He violated the letter and spirit of the forum.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

I wanted to get some advice from you guys. I recently won a jacket on Ebay (RLBL Corneliani, country sort of jacket, tweed etc). There was no minimum price stated or buy it now price. The seller contacted me the other day and said that after the auction closed someone else offered him $100 more than my winning bid for the jacket. He said I could either pay the difference or he'd sell to the other person. I told him I expect him to honor the contract. However, he is a relatively new Ebayer and this is his first sale. Is it worth dealing with a scumbag like this and trying to get the jacket, or is it better to drop the deal and flame him on the feedback.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sleazy sellers? On ebay? I am shocked - SHOCKED - to hear of this.
    I'd do just what you did: tell him you expect him to honor the deal he struck. If he doesn't, send the appropriate feedback, report him to ebay, then forget it and move on.

4. redcaimen

redcaimen Bigtime

Drop the deal and calmly explain why people should be wary of him in the forum Ebay provides. Consider yourself lucky that money hasnt changed hands. If he would pull the BS you are describing, would he be above falsely describing the condition of the jacket?

5. nelly

nelly Senior Member

I don't think it's a good idea to buy from first time sellers anyway. Plus, I smell scam- how does he expect you to get the extra hundred to him? Through the shipping costs that would not be covered by insurance?

6. gamelan

gamelan Distinguished Member

don't buy and publish the seller's name here so we know to avoid him.

-Jeff

7. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Ditto what everyone said...

Report him to Ebay, report his name here and go to Ask Andy and do the same. At least you won't be out anything (except the jacket) and you'll prevent other people from being scammed.

8. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior Member

Does RLBL even make "country" jackets? And I thought BL was not Corneliani, but Cantarelli.

But yes, please do name names. I don't want to have to go all Stalin on you.

9. saint

saint Distinguished Member

Does RLBL even make "country" jackets? And I thought BL was not Corneliani, but Cantarelli.

But yes, please do name names. I don't want to have to go all Stalin on you.

Do you actually have an opinion?

Anyway, don't know about your first paragraph, a sport coat with shooting pockets, elbow patches, belted back, earth tone tweed, seems like a "country" jacket to me. Also, don't know about Cantarelli, as far as I know RLBL is made by Cornelliani (see below).

1999: AGREEMENT BETWEEN CORNELIANI AND POLO RALPH LAUREN. F.lli Claudio & Carlalberto Corneliani S.p.A. reached an agreement with the American Polo Ralph Lauren company for the production and distribution of men's tailored clothing for the American, European, and Middle-East markets. "Corneliani" - Michael Newman, vice-chairman of Polo Ralph Lauren said in an interview on DNR (a prestigious American magazine) "is the ideal partner for us, with a strong management team, exceptional sourcing and manufacturing capabilities ... the agreement will enhance our already successful Polo by Ralph Lauren tailored clothing brand".

Anyway, being an Earthmover I'm sure you know about digging, so rather than having to do the whole White Sea Canal thing, the seller's name is Charles333333 (333x2=666 coincidence? I think not).

10. pkincy

pkincy Senior Member

There are about 10 sellers I will do business with on Ebay out of seemingly millions. And about 40% of those post on these fora.

It is simply not worth trying to deal with these problems.

Perry

11. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Distinguished Member

I thought RLBL = Black Label. It seems you're using RLBL to mean Blue Label, but I, and I think most people, just use Polo for that....

Anyway, yeah, Polo is usually Corneliani. Black Label, I'm not sure about.

Saw the auction (42L, right?). It looks nice. Probably more than I would pay. I definitely won't pay the extra the seller is blackmailing you for. You should neg the guy, and then inform Ebay - especially if the guy communicated through Ebay's message system. And then do what you gotta do to get the reciprocal neg off.

12. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Distinguished Member

Cantarelli makes some RL Purple Label odd jackets (especially linen, cotton, and the like) IIRC.

Saint, it seems that your seller doesn't understand the concept of an auction. Too bad, because it sounds like a cool suit.

13. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior Member

Do you actually have an opinion?

I thought you meant Black Label, as is the common convention. The opinion was that the seller was already sketchy if they are offering a nonexistent country suit made by Corneliani. Black Labels, from what I understand, doesn't really use country fabrics.

14. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Distinguished Member

There is a specific page dedicated to this on ebay but it is worthless they don't do anything to help. I bought a purple label sportcoat from wwfred1 and he pulled the same thing and ebay didn't do anything.

I could understand the item being damaged and not shipping it but there is no excuse for sellers who don't price it correctly and lose on the gamble and then try to get more money.

15. luk-cha

luk-cha Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

findout where he lives and write in chalk outside his home "SLEZZY EBAY SELLER LIVES HERE!![​IMG] "