1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Slate's Inigo Thomas on white suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, May 26, 2005.

1. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

2. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior Member

Interesting read - reminds me of a quote from the otherwise-forgettable movie Confidence where Dustin Hoffman talks about getting rid of his white suit because if somebody wants to kill someone (anyone), the guy in the white suit is the first he'll pick. The About The Author is funny too: Inigo Thomas lives in New York. He is writing a book on 18th-century French botany. Sounds like a lively read.

3. Etruscan

Etruscan Senior Member

I wouldn't have thought it possible to write about the white suit without mentioning the one worn by John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever, but re-reading the essay I find no reference to it. As those few who affect the look today are almost certainly alluding to Travolta, rather than to Tom Wolfe, Mark Twain or heaven help us Samuel Pepys, I find this an extraordinary omission.

4. Fashionslave

Fashionslave Senior Member

Well put,Etruscan. I absolutely agree.All the Disco Dannys and Denny Terrios out there are up in arms. [​IMG]

5. Kai

Kai Distinguished Member

I love my white suit.

Looking forward to wearing it this summer.

I enjoyed the article too. I've never read anything from Slate. I don't think I've even seen a copy of the magazine. (or is it internet only?)

6. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Senior Member

Kai, Slate is internet only. It's one of my favorite websites.