• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slate article on 2 spaces after sentences...

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still use 2 spaces.
confused.gif
I just think it looks better.

agree disagree? And dear author, why the **** do you use 2 lines after every paragraph? Is indenting passe as well?

http://www.slate.com/id/2281146/

Type professionals can get amusingly"”if justifiably"”overworked about spaces. "Forget about tolerating differences of opinion: typographically speaking, typing two spaces before the start of a new sentence is absolutely, unequivocally wrong," Ilene Strizver, who runs a typographic consulting firm The Type Studio, once wrote. "When I see two spaces I shake my head and I go, Aye yay yay," she told me. "I talk about 'type crimes' often, and in terms of what you can do wrong, this one deserves life imprisonment. It's a pure sign of amateur typography." "A space signals a pause," says David Jury, the author of About Face: Reviving The Rules of Typography. "If you get a really big pause"”a big hole"”in the middle of a line, the reader pauses. And you don't want people to pause all the time. You want the text to flow."

dekthai

Reaction score
I don't think it's a matter of opinion. One space... always!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why the hell would anyone use two spaces? It's an extra keypress for nothing...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
I've always used two spaces. I like the way it looks.
I was taught to always use two spaces after a sentence, and I still continue to do so.

Milpool

Reaction score
I was taught to use two spaces. I continue to do so.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What! Never even heard of using two spaces. That's just wrong.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
simple answer,the people who's baby pics are in black and white use single space,and those whose pics are in color use double space

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was always taught two spaces after a sentence. Every style manual I know indicates two.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
simple answer,the people who's baby pics are in black and white use single space,and those whose pics are in color use double space

I think you have it backwards

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
I think you have it backwards

how so?
older generation uses single,younger uses double.no?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how so?

Nope ... the other way.

I'd bet most older fellows know to use double. And double is correct. Period! On the other hand ...

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how so?

No, the opposite. Those of us trained on typewriters with block typeface use two spaces. Generation Y and younger were trained on computers and use one space.

I used two spaces for many, many years, but have mostly broken myself of the habit. I don't think it really matters, and I've noticed that the latest Microsoft Word automatically changes this to one space.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Nope ... the other way.

I'd bet most older fellows know to use double. And double is correct. Period! On the other hand ...

well im 36 and use double and i have BW baby pics,so the question is just HOW OLD ARE YOU?
nest.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well im 36 and use double and i have BW baby pics,so the question is just HOW OLD ARE YOU?
nest.gif

Sixty-something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads