• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slanted jacket pockets?

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
I was wondering what the consensus is here. I am going to have a few jackets made soon and I don't know how I feel about this. I do not care for the heavily slanted pockets, but I think I would be ok with slightly slanted pockets. Is there any terminology I should know as to the grade of the slant? Also, how does this tie in rules wise with ticket pockets (as I like these for convenient store of small items)?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The term is Hacking Pocket.

It makes a suit less formal or, more casual.

It comes from country suiting in England (Manton??)

I would not put them on a MTM suit unless you have an extensive wardrobe with every concievable basic covered.

Perhaps on odd jackets.

Ticket pockets are alllllright.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them. They are called "hacking pockets" and comes from the English word hacking which means horseriding in US English. They slant so that when your legs are splayed on a horse, the slant actually goes horizontal on a horse and prevents things from falling out of the pocket (bullets, powder, etc). If your pockets were straight while standing, they would go slanted while splayed on a horse and things would fall out. So the slant is actually functional. The English take their horse riding and hunting seriously.

At least that's the story. I find it hard to believe things falling out of your pocket easily but I guess I don't know enough about horseriding to say. Maybe with all the jostling around things are prone to fall out.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit

I would not put them on a MTM suit unless you have an extensive wardrobe with every concievable basic covered.

Perhaps on odd jackets.

This would not be on a suit, for a few spring/summer casual jackets I am going to have made. I see pockets slanted to different degrees though. Surely there must be a term to differentiate between the different slants. As for ticket pockets I like them on some coats, depends on the colors/style but I always have little things to throw in there.

Sebastian

Reaction score
What exactly do you want to know?

I don't think there are special terms for more or less slanted pockets.
You should just specify to your tailor what you want on your suit. You can also use some photos, where the pockets have the angle you want.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Two words for you as you contemplate your decision: "Banana Republic". If that's the look you're going for, then by all means, do it.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
Two words for you as you contemplate your decision: "Banana Republic". If that's the look you're going for, then by all means, do it.

I don't even know what their clothes look like.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AscotMcPocketsquare
I don't even know what their clothes look like.

I live in San Francisco, so it's difficult not to know as they are "local". They seem to always have the slanted pockets on their suits. I'm probably biased against it because every time I see them I think Banana Republic, which isn't the look I'm going for in a suit. This isn't a criticism of all things Banana Republic, however.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
At least that's the story. I find it hard to believe things falling out of your pocket easily but I guess I don't know enough about horseriding to say. Maybe with all the jostling around things are prone to fall out.

I thought that the idea was to allow easier access while on a horse, rather than stopping things from falling out.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
I like them. They are called "hacking pockets" and comes from the English word hacking which means horseriding in US English. They slant so that when your legs are splayed on a horse, the slant actually goes horizontal on a horse and prevents things from falling out of the pocket (bullets, powder, etc). If your pockets were straight while standing, they would go slanted while splayed on a horse and things would fall out. So the slant is actually functional. The English take their horse riding and hunting seriously. At least that's the story. I find it hard to believe things falling out of your pocket easily but I guess I don't know enough about horseriding to say. Maybe with all the jostling around things are prone to fall out.
I thought it was so you could have easier access to the contents of your pockets when you were riding? Yeah a hack means a cross country ride. Edit: Sanguis mortem beat me to it

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are buying made-to-measure, you may be stuck with one angle to the pocket. Either a typical hacking pocket or straight. Bespoke could do whatever you want within reason.

The material makes a difference too.

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AscotMcPocketsquare
This would not be on a suit, for a few spring/summer casual jackets I am going to have made. I see pockets slanted to different degrees though. Surely there must be a term to differentiate between the different slants. As for ticket pockets I like them on some coats, depends on the colors/style but I always have little things to throw in there.
I would go for a pocket angle of between 38 - 41 degrees. The choice is yours. Longterm studies have shown that any angle in the aforementioned range is ideal, so you can't go wrong if you stick to it.

Toorman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit

Perhaps on odd jackets.

+1

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All my bespoke commisions use a 45 degree FORWARD angle. It's the the / \\ is for noobs, now is time for the \\ /

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads