1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

SKOLYX - Shoes, Shoe care, Clothing care and Accessories: Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Skolyx, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Zerase

Zerase Senior Member

Carmina Rain, Loake Capital and Löf & Tung T-last are all 7,5. In the Carlos Santos 234 last I wear 7 so not that weird to be fair. I have short but voluminous feet, broad and with a high instep. The 7,5:s hade a bit of space in the toes which made the heel slip, the 7:s were tight but comfy.

2. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

Ok thanks! Always good to get input and experiences, especially when they differ a bit from what’s normally the case.

3. feilhk

feilhk Member

Anyone know the size comparison between tlb and loake , berwick?

4. j ingevaldsson

Wrote this on previous page:
    "Most have the same size in Loake and Berwick, though Loake is a tad big in size so some size down in Loake compared to our shoes [TLB]."

5. feilhk

feilhk Member

I have tried a split toe boot of berwick in same size 5.5uk but it looks a bit larger than the tlb i bought. I heard tlb shoes are all same last and no need to worry about sizing among products

6. j ingevaldsson

Yeah exactly, the only difference between TLB's lasts is the toe shape. It's only the loafer last that is a bit different, as all loafer lasts, but it fits very similar.

7. feilhk

feilhk Member

how about yanko and tlb comparison? the size chart of yanko for a 5.5uk is eu39.5 while tlb 5.5 uk is 38.7, saw a good split toe 980Y having discount

8. Skolyx

Skolyx Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

Yanko and TLB is similar, some people size down 0,5 in TLB but in general our customers choose same size in both. We love to help and share info about our shoes, but this thread is about Skolyx and the shoes from Yanko, TLB and our own collection that we stock, if you have question or thoughts about other retailers brands, sales, products or similar better to post in their part of the forum or in the brand thread instead.
    Merry christmas!

9. HZG

HZG Member

Looks really nice. Can someone compare this last possibly to Meermin's Rui last? How wide is the last, or how is the heel? Thanks!

10. j ingevaldsson

Thanks! Sorry, but I don't have any experience with the Rui last, so can't advice specifically. Maybe someone else can chip in. E-mail [email protected] and we'll try to sort the sizing together with you!

11. j ingevaldsson

TLB-jan-GMTO-1.jpg

Introducing the January GMTO, a really elegant and versatile boot, which thanks to the narrow shaft and closed lacing looks a lot like a regular shoe when worn. The thin city rubber sole resembles a leather sole in look, but with the durability and water resistance of rubber. Made in Old England calf skin which has a handmade finish with a nice depth in the shade, on the Oliver last. As all our GMTOs it comes with a heel counter in real leather which is very rare in this price range, normally you have to buy shoes twice the price to get this.
    More info about the boot and the GMTO process here.

TLB-jan-GMTO-2.jpg

TLB-jan-GMTO-3.jpg

TLB-jan-GMTO-5.jpg

12. feilhk

feilhk Member

TLB shoes look so nice, if the shaft is 5 to 6 inch would look much better

13. walkinginplace

walkinginplace Well-Known Member

Got the longwing bluchers today. Quality seemed great but I'm afraid the last is just too wide for me (and a little long). Highly recommended for those with a bit wider feet though!

IMG_1995.JPG

14. AWu

AWu Senior Member

Is it suggested that for normal stocks TLB uses plastic heel counter?

15. j ingevaldsson

Cheers! Thanks for the input, it's of course personal preferences.

Glad to hear you like the quality, sorry they didn't fit you too well. But if long and wide, would it maybe work just to go down half a size?

No, for regular TLB (and also Skolyx private label and Yanko) there is leather board heel stiffeners. It's leather dust mixed together with glue, and pressed together. It also conforms quite well to the foot, but it's not a living material like real leather, which can adjust shape even more and also can be re-shaped etc.

Generally for welted quality shoes, budget shoes use plastic/celastic, midrange shoes use leather board, premium and bespoke shoes use real leather.