• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without opening a can of worms here, but why HW over GYW? I’m only asking because I’ve also been swapping my GYW collection for HW...but I truthfully can’t explain why lol.

The mental masturbation of thinking you have a superior product (to be clear, I own HW too because I think it’s cool. I don’t actually believe it’ll give me greater longevity though)

djdanniedee

Reaction score
That and also the romance of it really being handmade. I'm sure most of us have enough shoes to rotate where resoling isn't a major issue. It'll be years before i need a resole (not withstanding heel replacements which are simple), so the fact it's more resoleable is really not as relevant as people say. But knowing that the premium in price paid does in fact equal to quality, that handwork, sweet, blood and tears went into it rather than massive machines churning out shoes etc.. does make one feel like they're getting their money's worth.

Do i notice the difference when wearing? Not really. How the last fits me makes a bigger difference imo. Zonkey boot having great arch support makes a difference for example.

The mental masturbation of thinking you have a superior product (to be clear, I own HW too because I think it’s cool. I don’t actually believe it’ll give me greater longevity though)

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sent you and @patliean1 a pm about the subject to explain myself. I don't want to drown the thread... lol

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do the feel difference wearing handwelted shoes vs gyw. The leather heel stiffener, flexibility and how it wears is notible when compared. At the end of the day my feet feels less tired when I wear my EB handwelted shoes.

Thilgela

Reaction score
Without opening a can of worms here, but why HW over GYW? I’m only asking because I’ve also been swapping my GYW collection for HW...but I truthfully can’t explain why lol.

To me HW has thicker insoles, no canvas rib (which is only glued to the insole). I'd argue it's really hard to see any difference unless you know it's HW, but knowing some of shoes are HW already is good enough for me that it's objectively superior in terms of constructions than GYW and requires more skills & labour.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The small (relatively) premium you pay for hand welted when it comes to Enzo Bonafè is worth it IMO. It’s one of few makers that has not overly exploited the demand for premium shoes the last few years, while other makers has priced themselves out. We will see which pricing strategy that works in the long run.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The small (relatively) premium you pay for hand welted when it comes to Enzo Bonafè is worth it IMO. It’s one of few makers that has not overly exploited the demand for premium shoes the last few years, while other makers has priced themselves out. We will see which pricing strategy that works in the long run.

A big part of me thinks makers like Bonafè and Alden who have played things quite conservatively in that regard have it right here. Build a loyal customer base and then don't muck with things. Fashion trends come and go, and I feel like peak menswear ruined more than a couple brands (oh how Allen Edmond's has fallen).

I mean, for example, I really do enjoy Carmina's shoes and boots, but I don't see myself getting them anymore when their prices are now almost the same as Bonafè.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ZeRo difference in comfort or longevity GYW versus HW over multiple examples of each. Number one factor in comfort is how well the last mimics the dimensions of your foot. Number 2 is materials. HW has practically nothing to do with comfort. My most comfortable pairs are pretty evenly split between the two types of construction. More hand work involved in HW and that will be a worthwhile reason alone to purchase them over an equivalently priced GYW shoe, for some.

And I am crushed that this amazing sale comes just after I splurged on other toys and have zero funds left for more shoes or boots. Grrrrr. About 4 pairs I would have grabbed. Thanks to Skoak for the opportunity anyway!

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to the store today to see if I could grab some of the pairs currently on sale. Unfortunately it seems my feet don’t really work with your loafer last nor the s-last on one of the oxfords, bummer. Higher instep and a narrower heel would do wonders for my feet at least.

djdanniedee

Reaction score
I look at the HW vs GYW debate similar to watches. Within automatics of ETA vs inhouse. Not an exact comparison, but both tell the time, but have a great movement, but just the fact that the inhouse movement was built inhouse, more thought was given, more work, more heritage. If there's a clear back you can admire it, but there's one with a solid back where you can even see the movement but you know its' there.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Went to the store today to see if I could grab some of the pairs currently on sale. Unfortunately it seems my feet don’t really work with your loafer last nor the s-last on one of the oxfords, bummer. Higher instep and a narrower heel would do wonders for my feet at least.

New lasts coming shortly.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I look at the HW vs GYW debate similar to watches. Within automatics of ETA vs inhouse. Not an exact comparison, but both tell the time, but have a great movement, but just the fact that the inhouse movement was built inhouse, more thought was given, more work, more heritage. If there's a clear back you can admire it, but there's one with a solid back where you can even see the movement but you know its' there.

I'm not a watch guy so I can't comment on the particular comparison. I just think there's a lot of disagreement on the topic and there are numerous threads discussing it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads