• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OdusBK

Reaction score
There were 2 mystery makes announced on the instagram page - 1 was a while back around September and the other yesterday.

I'm curious if these are two different makers and when their planned release is :)

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There were 2 mystery makes announced on the instagram page - 1 was a while back around September and the other yesterday.

I'm curious if these are two different makers and when their planned release is :)

There is a very similar identical shoe on foster & sons instagram page ?

Meyboom

Reaction score
There is a very similar identical shoe on foster & sons instagram page ?
Hardly a mystery indeed... Im surprised SkoAB will carry F&S next to JLP because they offer similar styles at a similar price. F&S is a very strong competitor offering a... ahum... Japanese level of finishing...

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what would F&S bring compared to St. C? I don't understand the appeal of Lobb over St.C even.

Meyboom

Reaction score
So what would F&S bring compared to St. C? I don't understand the appeal of Lobb over St.C even.
Personally I find St C quite a different beast from other shoe makers. One has to admit that the design, lasts and some leathers of St C are a distinct style that probably doesn’t appeal to everyone. JLP and F&S offer more conservative styles but of course executed to the highest standards.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I find St C quite a different beast from other shoe makers. One has to admit that the design, lasts and some leathers of St C are a distinct style that probably doesn’t appeal to everyone. JLP and F&S offer more conservative styles but of course executed to the highest standards.

To play devil's advocate, St. C definitely has it's set of eclectic designs and lasts, but I feel that their conservative makeups are just as stodgy as JLP if need be. And then you get the added benefit of personalizing a last, a hand welt and pegged waist, better shoe trees...

I mean, which of these is more conservative?

Saint-Crispins-522FC-CRU999-GE8-Classic-F-4.jpg

or

John_Lobb_Prestige_Philip_II_Black_7000_Last_5.jpg

I mean, without looking at URLs (or distinctive shoe trees), can you tell which is JLP or St.C? If anything I think the St. C last is ever so slightly less aggressive.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Price point-wise, Foster would likely come in above Lobb but below St Crispin? Any chance it just replaces Lobb?

WilYa

Reaction score
I will never equate JLP to "highest standards", especially after the end of the yellow box era. IMO the finisb of non-prestige JLPs are smilar to Carmina and definitely inferior to CJ handgrade.

Meyboom

Reaction score
To play devil's advocate, St. C definitely has it's set of eclectic designs and lasts, but I feel that their conservative makeups are just as stodgy as JLP if need be. And then you get the added benefit of personalizing a last, a hand welt and pegged waist, better shoe trees...

I mean, which of these is more conservative?

Saint-Crispins-522FC-CRU999-GE8-Classic-F-4.jpg

or

John_Lobb_Prestige_Philip_II_Black_7000_Last_5.jpg

I mean, without looking at URLs (or distinctive shoe trees), can you tell which is JLP or St.C? If anything I think the St. C last is ever so slightly less aggressive.
Good point, St C offers so many options that they can be customized to look almost identical to shoes from other makers (although the St C waist will always be distinctive) . But I can imagine not everyone likes going the MTO route, that’s something for shoe nerds ? I know the lead time for a pair of St C is relatively short but many people just want to buy a pair right here and now. And truth be told, when going for 'standard' aniline leather the quality JLP offers is hard to beat.

Meyboom

Reaction score
I will never equate JLP to "highest standards", especially after the end of the yellow box era. IMO the finisb of non-prestige JLPs are smilar to Carmina and definitely inferior to CJ handgrade.
I only own yellow box JLPs and haven't bought any in recent years. If finishing really has gone down to Carmina standards that's not good...

WilYa

Reaction score
I only own yellow box JLPs and haven't bought any in recent years. If finishing really has gone down to Carmina standards that's not good...
I own many pairs from both era and I am afraid this is my conclusion. I quite agree the leather quality was top notch but the current offerings have unfortunately nothing special.

Meyboom

Reaction score
Price point-wise, Foster would likely come in above Lobb but below St Crispin? Any chance it just replaces Lobb?
It looks like they will carry the collection with 'Jermyn street specification' which is the 'cheapest' range of F&S. Price is around 900euro which is some 250euro below standard JLP. If that’s the case JLP will have a hard time at SkoAB...

Meyboom

Reaction score
I own many pairs from both era and I am afraid this is my conclusion. I quite agree the leather quality was top notch but the current offerings have unfortunately nothing special.
Interesting, I have always wondered if JLP is a strong seller at SkoAB. Based on your insight, @Spaghettimatt could be right that F&S may be replacing JLP...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads