1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Skoaktiebolaget – Löf & Tung, Carlos Santos, Enzo Bonafé, Saint Crispin’s, Paolo Scafora, Rubinacci

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. stook1

stook1 Senior Member

I might be interested. I just don't have any experience with L&T sizing/lasts, which is slightly concerning for MTO (even though my feet are pretty average). How does the quality compare to C&J? I'd also been contemplating one of the C&J GMTOs. In terms of color, I would probably be most interested in Bourbon or Armagnac. Not quite sure where Dark Cognac fits into the spectrum. Darker than Armagnac? Guessing Mahogany is more red?

Also, apologies if this has already been stated but is this Horween shell or another tannery?

2. CrashBurner

CrashBurner Senior Member

1. Sizing on L&T S or T last - there’s quite a bit of info on the Skoaktiebolaget site:
    EG and G&G - size down half a size from your UK size;
    Carmina Rain - take the same size in L&T
    2. Quality - not sure in comparison with C&J, but quite a bit of info around the web indicating the quality is good - most compare to Carlos Santos which is close to the same price point and the consensus is they’re a decent step up in quality. I understand Leaves (Patrik Löf) believes they’re slightly better than Carmina too; he’s had experience with both.
    3. There are so many names for the Brown shades of Shell - my head spins too. I was hoping for Mahogany which seems to be as you suggested, brown with a tinge of red - more subtle than Color #8. I’m happy with other tones and you will not be disappointed with Bourbon or Armagnac either. I think they maybe moving away from using the moniker “Cognac” and have replaced it with “Armagnac”. Having a pair of boots in Armagnac, it’s hard to imagine a darker brown but apparently Dark Cognac is even darker.
    4. On the Skoaktiebolaget L&T MTO section they state that the Shell is sourced from Horween.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019

3. stook1

stook1 Senior Member

Thanks for all of the insight. Really, much appreciated! Snipped the quote just for brevity since I had a quick followup on the shell colors and will also look at this more carefully across other makers once i am home. I was under the impression (seemingly incorrect) that Armagnac was lighter than, for instance, Alden's Cigar or AE's Brown shell (just calling those two out since they are common). If Armagnac is, indeed, a very dark brown then I might well be most interested in Bourbon. Assuming that I am in (not 100% yet just to be clear) that would make 4 of us. I feel like it should be pretty manageable to get two more on board once the specific makeup is nailed down.

4. jayvee

jayvee Senior Member

I am afraid I am out. Skoak confirmed that they cannot offer commando soles on the Kingsley at the moment. Deal breaker for me, but good luck with the GMTO

5. stook1

stook1 Senior Member

What soles are offered?

6. Mallaig

Mallaig Well-Known Member

Second time I've been surprised by a pair of stunning shoes .... both are by Enzo B and both belong to @nishant.

7. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

8. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

L&T aren't Carlos Santos competitors - they are Carmina competitors
    Is the Vibram Gumlite any softer underfoot than Dainite, or pretty much the same?

9. Leaves

I try to use the "official" Horween names for all colors. Alden has their own names for most of these colors. Current availability:

• Black
    • Bourbon
    • Armagnac (the color that will replace Horween Cognac, not to be mistaken for Dark Cognac)
    • Oxblood (what Alden calls Col.8)
    • Dark Cognac
    • Limited supply of Bourbon Hatch Grain Cordovan
    Löf & Tung Hatch Grain Cordovan (show on Clark, I have one pair in UK 7.5, this pair in stock, email [email protected] if you are interested). Price is 8400 SEK (6720 SEK ex VAT / about $750).

Löf-&-Tung-Clark-15709-Bourbon-Hatch-Grain-Horween-Cordovan-S-Last-2.jpg

10. Leaves

It is softer Roger.

11. Mr Clemson

Mr Clemson Senior Member

Agree with Roger 100%. L&T is now my choice 10 out of 10 times over CS and 8/9 out of 10 over Carmina (especially given the price difference).

12. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Cheers my man.

13. djdanniedee

djdanniedee Senior Member

Not to sound like a Skoak homer/nut hugger, BUT, i feel one thing that L&T offers over Carmina's is the excellent service and guaranteed QA. Questions, inquiries are answered promptly, any issues with received shoes/boots get resolved fairly, quickly and very reasonably. Majority of my footwear have been from Skoak and i would say i've only had 1 pair of EB boots that a slight tear on the tongue. Not a big deal, emailed them and was resolved fairly, no fuss, no avoiding or passing blame. There's something about having that piece of mind. Just my 2 cents.

14. dangerous

dangerous Senior Member

Is there any difference between hatch grain cordovan and "normal" cordovan when it comes to rolling and properties?

15. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

Must resist...