• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The description says museum calf. I didn’t realize there was a difference between museum and misty. Is museum more mottled in appearance? I guess I’m looking for a brown that goes with dark navy. Lobby dark brown museum would probably be better.

I personally prefer dark brown. I do have a pair of those. So classic but also visually interesting.

I think the museum Parisian is not only more mottled but has a greater contrast depth in the marbling. I think it’s more pleasing than misty Parisian, personally.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if you are comfortable wearing Vass gold museum with navy then Parisian museum will be no problem.

Here are Skoak pictures in the same location and lighting:

Parisian misty:

F3C6537C-0E20-47C8-8BB5-201309517430.jpeg

Parisian museum:

36CC9224-BDC2-4BAD-867B-77C3603F6DDE.jpeg

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally prefer dark brown. I do have a pair of those. So classic but also visually interesting.

I think the museum Parisian is not only more mottled but has a greater contrast depth in the marbling. I think it’s more pleasing than misty Parisian, personally.

Oh, I don’t wear museum gold with navy. I think it’s too light. I wear it with a fresco blue suit that I have, medium or light grey, and tan.

Morningside

Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in a Black Lof & Tung dress boot GMTO? I am thinking something like the Gilbert or the Bingham.
Gilbert:
Lof-_-Tung-Gilbert-14958-Black-Calf-S-Last-1.jpg

Bingham:
Lof-_-Tung-Bingham-H-last-Black-Calf-01.jpg

I'm also not sure if there is a style with a bit more broguing, but I'd be open to that too.

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Leaves - Sizing Dilemma

(i) I am a solid 11/11.5 E82 on Edward Green 82 Last (Chelsea) which I purchased in-store from Steven at Leffot, NYC.
(ii) I have on the way a pair of EG Galways in 11.5/12D on the 82 Last. I was advised to go half a size up on the narrower D Last.
(iii) I also went half a size up (11.5/12 E888), but same width on a pair of Monmouth Double-Soled Bluchers due to the narrow(er) toe box of the 888 Last.

What size would you recommend in the John Lobb 8000 Last? Specifically referring to (i) Phillip II (ii) Chapel (iii) Beckett (iv) Harlyn (Split toe Norwegian).

Thank you in advance

Alan Bee

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Leaves - Sizing Dilemma

(i) I am a solid 11/11.5 E82 on Edward Green 82 Last (Chelsea) which I purchased in-store from Steven at Leffot, NYC.
(ii) I have on the way a pair of EG Galways in 11.5/12D on the 82 Last. I was advised to go half a size up on the narrower D Last.
(iii) I also went half a size up (11.5/12 E888), but same width on a pair of Monmouth Double-Soled Bluchers due to the narrow(er) toe box of the 888 Last.

What size would you recommend in the John Lobb 8000 Last? Specifically referring to (i) Phillip II (ii) Chapel (iii) Beckett (iv) Harlyn (Split toe Norwegian).

Thank you in advance

Alan Bee

Please email [email protected] for all fitting advice.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What sole would generally be recommended for the colder winters/ especially for the potential of snow/ice.

I would say that there is no Styleforum approved ice/winter sole. I live in a country with snow/ice on the streets for 3 months a year, even inside the city so I have some experience. I think there's even a separate thread for this. But for a good compromise between stylishness and personal security, I would recommend a sole like shown on Löf & Tung Clark in Kudu:
Lof-_-Tung-Clark-15709-Cognac-Kudu-S-Last-3.jpg

This is a type of Vibram sole. It looks similar to a Dainite but the rubber is softer (Gumlite) and will provide better traction on ice.

However, for a real winter boot (I spend about 6-8 hours/week in a freezing ice rink between September-April, my 7 year old basically lives there) I fall back on these. Don't laugh.
pplyver_hi_side.jpg

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Balligator Boot

How do you guys feel about the Bancroft in Cayman/Black Calf?
Lof-_-Tung-Bancroft-15707-Black-Calf-Granite-Suede-H-Wide-Last-4.jpg

Lof-_-Tung-Bancroft-15707-Black-Calf-Granite-Suede-H-Wide-Last-2.jpg

The design really is fantastic. I think I like this pattern even more than the Bonafe variant.

Apologies if it’s been asked before, but what is the rule regarding wide fittings on GMTOs?

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! I think black calf and peanut cayman would look even better.

RickyTakhar

Reaction score
I would say that there is no Styleforum approved ice/winter sole. I live in a country with snow/ice on the streets for 3 months a year, even inside the city so I have some experience. I think there's even a separate thread for this. But for a good compromise between stylishness and personal security, I would recommend a sole like shown on Löf & Tung Clark in Kudu:
Lof-_-Tung-Clark-15709-Cognac-Kudu-S-Last-3.jpg

This is a type of Vibram sole. It looks similar to a Dainite but the rubber is softer (Gumlite) and will provide better traction on ice.

However, for a real winter boot (I spend about 6-8 hours/week in a freezing ice rink between September-April, my 7 year old basically lives there) I fall back on these. Don't laugh.
pplyver_hi_side.jpg
Great info @Leaves ! What are your thoughts on a commando sole? Something like that from the Carlos Santos Jumper Boot?

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can confirm the softer rubber=better traction thesis. I have a pair of balmorals on gumlite, and it's much better than regular Dainite.

Having said that, Commando soles are not practical in an urban environment, at least in Finland. But it depends on how winter is managed where you live. Here they spread gravel on the pavements after every snowfall. With commando soles you will end up spending the day picking stones out your soles. It's very annoying.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads