• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dangerous

Reaction score

Attachments

• 20210228_133708.jpg
    20210228_133708.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 149

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I think I've posted this many times but the STC wingtip is such a beautiful design. While Russian calf seems to get a love/hate relationship, I absolutely love it and especially here paired with the wingtips. Takes a bit extra tlc but I don't mind it at all.
View attachment 1622824

I think the hate was mostly because, initially, some people found it to be challenging to maintain as the method is slightly different from regular calf. We made a guide with StC which you can see below. However, personally I only use BICK4 and it works very well.

ryanluo23

Reaction score
I think the hate was mostly because, initially, some people found it to be challenging to maintain as the method is slightly different from regular calf. We made a guide with StC which you can see below. However, personally I only use BICK4 and it works very well.

Great write up and tips @Leaves. In regards to Rus - Can you further elaborate on:

1. In the write up, you mention to use Wax (medium brown) and regular brushing - so when there scuffing, you touch up mainly with the wax as oppose to Pomade?

2. But then in the post above you mention, you only use bick4 - do you find one to achieve better result than the other?

Shetterd

Reaction score
Great write up and tips @Leaves. In regards to Rus - Can you further elaborate on:

1. In the write up, you mention to use Wax (medium brown) and regular brushing - so when there scuffing, you touch up mainly with the wax as oppose to Pomade?

2. But then in the post above you mention, you only use bick4 - do you find one to achieve better result than the other?
Can I tag on this? @Leaves do you recommend the same care regimen for Utah calf?

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Russian Reindeer and Horween's russian hatchgrain/pioneer hatchgrain/hatchgrain all the same?

These hatchgrain monikers can be a bit confusing and indiscernible from just pictures.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve only seen reindeer used in reference to the leather found at the shipwreck of the Meta Catarina.

Everything else is just calfskin made to look like it but they aren’t all the same.

Horween has a bunch of different grain leathers but I think pioneer and Russian hatch grain are the same thing. For instance:

Mrfuzon

Reaction score
Looks like the wild deer has shipped out... are there any pics in the wild yet?

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Looks like the wild deer has shipped out... are there any pics in the wild yet?

Less orange IRL. Really liking how these came out. Have a few more skins incoming.

Attachments

• DSC_5631.jpg
    DSC_5631.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC_5629.jpg
    DSC_5629.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 110

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Summer Sale is Live

This is a "pre-sale" link for everyone on StyleForum. The newsletter will go out to subscribers in about 1 hour.

Some great deals to be made on all shoe brands (except JL).

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Summer Sale is Live

This is a "pre-sale" link for everyone on StyleForum. The newsletter will go out to subscribers in about 1 hour.

Some great deals to be made on all shoe brands (except JL).
If only my feet didn't hate loafers as much as they do...

SteveL91

Reaction score
Less orange IRL. Really liking how these came out. Have a few more skins incoming.

My pair arrived a few hours ago. I can't believe they got here overnight from Sweden... it takes a week to get stuff from California! The difference between ground freight and air freight, I suppose! Really glad I jumped on these, such an incredible make-up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads