• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

acapaca

Reaction score
A couple of months back some people were interested in the Danny Sneaker in Utah Calf. But I already had an order placed so it was a bit overkill to do a GMTO. The Danny in Utah has now launched together with some other nice goodies. Will post more of those later.

Purchased. Were these on sale? I noticed I couldn't get free shipping.

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
Which size should I take in Lof&Tung if all my shoes are 28.5 to 29cm long , measured by out-sole?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does Mountain Calf differ from Russian Calf ? I'm looking at the StC site and cannot tell the difference.
If I'm not mistaken Mountain calf is just Alpine Leather renamed. Russian calf is the replica of the Russian Reindeer found all those years ago. It is printed to resemble the Russian Reindeer, but the J&FJ Baker is a closer replica to the real thing.

The Alpine will be a bit stiffer but lower maintenance. Both Chrome tanned.

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does Mountain Calf differ from Russian Calf ? I'm looking at the StC site and cannot tell the difference.
If you are asking which you should select, only you can answer that but here's a few pros and cons....

Russian Reindeer is softer (slightly) and takes a nice shine. Develops a character especially at flex points. You can call this character discoloring or antiquing if you prefer. You avoid this with a bunch of brushing and wax.

Alpine is stiffer. It will not develop a patina, but you won't have to brush it to death either. For me, it is an inclement weather survivor! Russian reindeer not as much.

Both have a beautiful grained appearance which is why you couldn't tell them apart as easily.

Last edited:

Mallaig

Reaction score
If you are asking which you should select, only you can answer that but here's a few pros and cons....

Russian Reindeer is softer (slightly) and takes a nice shine. Develops a character especially at flex points. You can call this character discoloring or antiquing if you prefer. You avoid this with a bunch of brushing and wax.

Alpine is stiffer. It will not develop a patina, but you won't have to brush it to death either. For me, it is an inclement weather survivor! Russian reindeer not as much.

Both do have a beautiful grain appearance which is why you couldn't tell them apart.
This is very helpful. Thank you.

mg92

Reaction score
Been looking for a pair of unline chukkas for a while.

Any chance of this EB model coming back in stock (would make a great GMTO)?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.