• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do duty fees on shoes to the states through DHL come standard after a certain price?
What a coincidence, I just logged in to ask the same question. I just received a notice from DHL regarding duties for a delivery scheduled for tomorrow. I thought the threshold was either $900 or $1000? Can't recall exactly. My purchase is less than that though...

edit: I think it's 800 usd duty free.

Last edited:

oxfordsandties

Reaction score
What a coincidence, I just logged in to ask the same question. I just received a notice from DHL regarding duties for a delivery scheduled for tomorrow. I thought the threshold was either $900 or $1000? Can't recall exactly. My purchase is less than that though...

edit: I think it's 800 usd duty free.
I did some research and saw that it is indeed 800. I bought a pair of shell boots and forgot all about duty tax. Wish is was a bit cheaper but such is life.

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did some research and saw that it is indeed 800. I bought a pair of shell boots and forgot all about duty tax. Wish is was a bit cheaper but such is life.
Same here. Oddly enough I have never been dinged for duty for Carmina orders. Not sure if that's because they have a US presence or if Carmina is picking up the fee. In any event, since you looked into it, would you be able to confirm if the duty is meant to apply to the full price of the item and not just the excess over the $800 duty free amount?

SleepyTexan

Reaction score
Same here. Oddly enough I have never been dinged for duty for Carmina orders. Not sure if that's because they have a US presence or if Carmina is picking up the fee. In any event, since you looked into it, would you be able to confirm if the duty is meant to apply to the full price of the item and not just the excess over the $800 duty free amount?
It could have changed but IIRC the duty is included in the price they charge.

oxfordsandties

Reaction score
It’s a percentage of the total price. What bumps it up over 100 is the prepayment fee from DHL.

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a percentage of the total price. What bumps it up over 100 is the prepayment fee from DHL.
Noticed that... thanks for the info. Not expected but still happy to have gotten the EBs. Cheers Gentlemen.

rdsr

Reaction score
At what point is it more economical to ship the left and right separately at half listing price per package and instead have the buyer pay the shipping twice?😂

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any chance of doing some Lof & Tung boots in shell cordovan, such as the Clark or Kingsley, as a GMTO? I'd be keen on pretty much any shade of brown, but not Col.8 (just to be fussy!).
How about Stein?
They look good!

I'd be part of a GMTO for those boots in shell cordovan in a colour such as bourbon, armagnac, cognac, dark cognac or similar.

dangerous

Reaction score
They look good!

I'd be part of a GMTO for those boots in shell cordovan in a colour such as bourbon, armagnac, cognac, dark cognac or similar.
They are awesome. I wish the shaft was a bit higher and that it was an additional piece for the heel - like the original Frankenstich Carmina model Skoaktiebolaget brought out.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.