1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin’s, Rubinacci – Offi

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Very nice!!!

2. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Agreed, and the Torpes in my opinion are just one of those boots that look so much better without speed hooks.

3. mw313

mw313 Senior member

do you mean for my St. C trial shoes?

If so, I was wearing them without the shoe trees and just put them in to show them to you guys better. Now that I know what needs work, I may wear them once in a while if I need a beater shoe and can keep them in better shape with the tree.

4. mw313

mw313 Senior member

i agree. they look amazing like this. they just are a pain for me, but I guess I can deal with it for the look of them. Plus they are so comfortable when wearing too!

I probably will just make sure to get the hooks on future boot orders again, now that I have learned the hard way.

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Yeah, just to emphasize where the creases are, if youre sending in pics it could let the shoemaker more easily see where the last needs to be altered.

6. mw313

mw313 Senior member

of course. thanks for clarifying for other people.

i already gave my info to skoak so they told St. C what to do for me. I'm having them make it the equivalent of 1/2 size smaller so it will be a bit shorter and also one more width narrow. Then to add a bit to the big toe area so I don't get pinched in there at all.

7. niomosy

niomosy Active Member

That is a fantastic blue. Now I want a pair of those.

I think that's a distinct possibility. Consider me interested.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I know what you mean, although I may not exactly be as challenged as you are given your long feet. It can certainly take more time putting on boots that don't have them, but these just look so good without them. Ah well, such is life. LOL

9. ThunderMarch

ThunderMarch Senior member

From quite a bit of polishing. Haha. Though they looked great right out of the box.

I believe it was 170 pairs or somewhere around that figure.

10. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Regarding speedhooks, I like them for their practicality but sometimes the laces can 'unhook' from the hoooks. I'm not sure why that happens, perhaps the fit is not so snug and the leather pieces may overlap/ move relative to each otehr.

11. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Sorry to question you about it, but what did u use? Black? Cream? Wax? They look too awesome.

12. ThunderMarch

I've only polished these once so far, when I had nothing else to do one afternoon. I haven't worn them much to be honest, though I probably should.
    I used Saphir navy cream first, then navy wax. The slightest touch of black wax right at the tip as the final layer. Then that's it.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  13. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Hardly wearing them?? Whaaaaaat? If you need me to wear them for you I am willing to help a brother out.

14. ThunderMarch

Lol. It's actually mainly because the recent monsoon season makes for really unpredictable weather. It can be blazing hot in the morning, and all of a sudden a thunderstorm in the early afternoon. We also get plenty of convectional rain, So recently I've been wearing only rubber soled shoes, everyday. And this pair has double leather.
    That being said, I'll definitely be rotating through these more often now that the weather is a little better.

A couple of things about this pair,
    SkoaB will tell you as well, that Betis is a less "dressy" leather and I agree. There's nothing wrong with it definitely, but it's just the look of it, it does have a more "rugged" appearance. It is however, pretty easy to polish. I don't know how else to describe it, but some leathers "take" the cream and wax very easily and this is one of them. You can build up a shine rather quickly, and there is a lot of dept to the colour.
    Btw, the 946 last just looks great with the norvegese stitch. I really wouldn't go norvegese on any other last, tbh.

15. Dannefalk

Dannefalk Well-Known Member

FYI; we have a braided loafer (80301) incoming at the end of march on the Simpson last. This is an old picture but it will look like this more or less but on simpson:

[​IMG]

Regards,

Oliver

1 person likes this.
  16. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Thanks Oliver! Sigh...Out of all the lasts it had to be Simpson. The only Carmina last that I can't get to work for my feet. Huhuhu

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  17. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I hear you on the leather sole issue. I make a point of giving my very few pairs of leather soled boots an outing when we have a crisp, dry winters day - otherwise they would gather dust. There's a good reason why almost all my boots have Dainite or other synthetic.

I wish the 946 fit me better. Love the look.

1 person likes this.
  18. laufer

laufer Senior member

@Leaves

You managed to convince G&G to make cap toe boot for you, do you think you can try asking G&G to also make brogue boot, for example a boot version of Woburn shoe?

19. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Sure, that would be possible, if we get a big enough order. Usually, G&G needs an order for about 30 pairs to make a new pattern, but it's all up to Tony if he likes the design idea or not, they won't make any style just because we request it.

20. laufer

laufer Senior member

That's a stretch, I doubt we can muster 30 people on forum unless we can find some unique leather.