• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So do you guys use Alden leather protector for your she'll cordoven before you go out in rain & in general picked it up but figured to ask before applying them on new Carmina wholecut.

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe @MoosicPa has 18 pairs. I only got 15 or so.

@Leaves, that was a few months ago, might be up to 20+ now.... :satisfied:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So do you guys use Alden leather protector for your she'll cordoven before you go out in rain & in general picked it up but figured to ask before applying them on new Carmina wholecut.

I initially bought some not for use with cordovan but for calf. But when I heard some one described it as being like armor all for shoes I decided against using it. Instead I just use Bick4 as recommended by @Leaves. It's a conditioner and I feel more comfortable with using that than some kind of armor all like product.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I initially bought some not for use with cordovan but for calf. But when I heard some one described it as being like armor all for shoes I decided against using it. Instead I just use Bick4 as recommended by @Leaves. It's a conditioner and I feel more comfortable with using that than some kind of armor all like product.

Ah got yea so what kind of pretreatment should I do for she'll before taking them out for first time or get them exposed to rain. I have heard ppl say you should condition she'll before going out in rain. Meaning with what she'll cream wax? All I have done used brush & gave them good brushing. Your input is appricated.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah got yea so what kind of pretreatment should I do for she'll before taking them out for first time or get them exposed to rain. I have heard ppl say you should condition she'll before going out in rain. Meaning with what she'll cream wax? All I have done used brush & gave them good brushing. Your input is appricated.

I far from being an expert and to be honest I tend to refrain from wearing she'll when I know it's going to rain. Part of the problem is she'll from different shoemakers tends to behave differently. Some behaves well and some do not. Shoemakers tend to use different products on their wheel after they get it so it can be hit and miss. So even after you get spots or welts on your she'll some people have luck doing one thing to treat their she'll this way when others do something else.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I far from being an expert and to be honest I tend to refrain from wearing she'll when I know it's going to rain. Part of the problem is she'll from different shoemakers tends to behave differently. Some behaves well and some do not. Shoemakers tend to use different products on their wheel after they get it so it can be hit and miss. So even after you get spots or welts on your she'll some people have luck doing one thing to treat their she'll this way when others do something else.

Got yea well then I am just sticking to Mac way & avoiding rain thank you.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's plenty of advice out there and different strokes for different folks. Personally I'd rather not deal with it. She'll advertises as easy to care for yada yada, but personally I'd rather not have to deal with welts and spotting.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is all kinds of advice on the Official Shoe Care Thread as well as some iconic personalities as well. Sometimes quite interesting and sometimes quite testy.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I use Saphir cordovan crème and a light coat of clear wax polish.  But shell doesn't like rain.

There's plenty of advice out there and different strokes for different folks. Personally I'd rather not deal with it. She'll advertises as easy to care for yada yada, but personally I'd rather not have to deal with welts and spotting.

There is all kinds of advice on the Official Shoe Care Thread as well as some iconic personalities as well.  Sometimes quite interesting and sometimes quite testy.

Shoe care thread is must, enterainment and information all in one thread.

Thank you guys for all your info & input you guys are greatly appreciated & I will check that thread out :)

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. I'd rather spend the shell premium on a higher quality calf shoe.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. I'd rather spend the shell premium on a higher quality calf shoe.

But those beautiful, beautiful shell rolls! Also, I will say that shell is like magic when dealing with scratches and scuffs. I've had some pretty horrid looking damage just disappear with a few rounds of brushing and polish/conditioner. But personally, I just save my shell for nice days where I don't have to worry about rain. Although the funny thing is that it's supposedly very water resistant (apart from getting spotted up). One day I'll just take one of my shell boots and see how well it handles some rough use...

Last edited:

computingboy91

Reaction score
Yes, we have this style being restocked in several sizes:
http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/products/saint-crispins-russian-calf-derby

Then we have decided to stock a few more styles for the shop:
Style 633 in CRU 606 - G width - double leather sole - sizes UK 6.5-UK 9 - Classic last
Style 645 in CRU 606 - F width - single leather sole - szies UK 7-UK 9.5 - Classic last
Style 657(faux wingtip, new design) in CRU 609 - F width - single leather sole - sizes UK 6-UK 8.5 - Chiseled last

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

This is awesome news, no wait to try the G width soon!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads