1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin’s, Rubinacci – Offi

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

This one is in Oak Kudu, the St James was Tan Kudu..

2. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

If you get into it even a little, you'll inevitably end up buying a fast lens, f2 or below, to be able to play with depth of field. It's a lot of fun and your shoes will look fantastic ;).

3. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

I say skip the kit lens and put the savings on a 50mm prime or 85mm prime. Would be perfect for shooting shoes and kids/people.

1 person likes this.
  4. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

So what lense would you recommend? The one that comes in bundle package is that not fast or good enough? Newbie when it comes to camera just did basic search & info that is why figured to go with it. And thank you for your input in advance.

5. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

That would make that camera lot cheaper if I get rid of that lense lol

6. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

+1 for 50mm prime (in case you're not familiar with it, prime means no zoom). It's the cheap(er) way to get going. Just do a search for Canon (or Canon compatible) 50mm lenses and pick the one with the lowest f-stop (usually written f2 or f1.8 or f-whatever) for less than $500, whichever that is. After you spend some time with the camera you can always sell it and upgrade.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  7. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Ok got yea good info & thank you for your help I guess I will cancel the order which is back ordered & shop around for camera & lense.

8. Sactogeoff

Sactogeoff Well-Known Member

Also a fellow camera nerd. These guys are giving you good advice IMHO. The best camera lens combo is a simple 50mmF1.8 or a 35mmF1.8 for starters. Don't be tempted at first with the "more options is better!" mindset. First learn to compose a shot with a fixed lens (and no flash) at first. Then get proficient at it. Which can be an agonizing learning curve. But shoot shoot shoot shoot, and shoot some more. Also, one well timed press of the shutter is often better than 5fps. Come back in a couple years when you're all the way down the rabbit hole and we'll talk medium format film. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. benjamin8451

benjamin8451 Senior member

[​IMG]
    I am still waiting for the big sale of Nikon 14-24mm and 70-200mm....

10. Sactogeoff

Sactogeoff Well-Known Member

Okay back to the shoes. Anyone know if a guy can pre-order the upcoming Enzo B Burgundy beauties that were done via Skoak? I know they were trying to pre-sell them. But I'm curious if I could possibly still reserve or somehow pre-purchase them?

11. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

1 person likes this.
  12. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Just drop Skoak email & they should give you better answer. If I am correct once pre order is closed you can't really do much accept do single mto or start new Gmto, but send them an email for answer.

13. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

I just got my kudu today. it's a lot closer to mountain ram than i thought. probably going up on the B&S. will post photos tomorrow.

14. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

@Ironist - sorry if you aren't pleased. Please share some pictures.

15. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Does anyone have a picture of old doak EG vs Voak GG?

16. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

2 people like this.
  17. NewStart

NewStart Senior member

Potentially you may want to go down to f1.4 with an "L" to get razor sharp pictures, to show the beauty of your collection :D

18. Keen

Keen Senior member

I bought one as a Father's day gift, so I can vouch for their suitability :)

19. benjamin8451

benjamin8451 Senior member

Just ordered a pair of Inverness burgundy on 888 last.

Tomorrow my G&G St. James II vintage cherry should arrive on my door.

Thank you to good people of skoaktiebolaget.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  20. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

Following up on this. I've also applied Burgol Piz on a pair of boots I recently purchased. The Skoak site says it's a water deterring cream, but I would call it a wax given how hard it is. The Piz did darken my boots a little bit, and definitely deters water well. Moreover, this gives off one heck of a shine, and rather quickly too! A little bit of water with some elbow grease gives you a high shine and amazing water protection.

tl;dr

Great water repellant, gives excellent shine, darkens leather slightly.

edit: typo

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    3 people like this.