1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin’s, Rubinacci – Offi

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yes the penny loafers earlier in the thread are in Burgundy Shell. Have them in UK 12. Only one pair though.

No worries! Bauer and Allde has some Rubinacci, that's worth a visit. Gabucci carries Marinella, also a personal favorite. I think Nitti Gritty has some Drake's. We'll have some nice knitted ties from Sozzi this fall, they make a lot of the knitted ties for bigger companies that are better known (Paul Stuart etc).

Yes I'll set up a list of our UK 11+ sizes soon. No problem. Also a list of incoming stock. I'm still very much in favour of a "Large Feet - info and where to get shoes"-thread (or whatever the name will be). But I'd rather not set it up myself because I don't want to scare away the other retailers. It should be an open thread for everyone; guys with big feet and retailers who stock plus size shoes.

D is actually a narrow fit both for EG and G&G. You'd might want to try and have a look at the Carmina Sizing Thread, there's a lot of useful info there, or e-mail us and we'll help you. sales@skoaktiebolaget.se.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  2. Leaves

Fun facts about Carmina you may or may not know.

José Albaladejo is, apart from being the owner of Carmina, of course also a renowned shoe designer. He’s a gentleman in his sixties of a very subtle and kind demeanor and every time I’ve met him he wears a shirt and tie under his work robes.
    [​IMG]

Mr. Albaladejo’s wife’s name is Carmina and this is where he got the name for his company from. What a tribute to his beloved!
    [​IMG]

The majority of Mr. Albaladejo’s large family works at Carmina Shoemaker in Inca. Betty is his daughter and most of you have heard her name, she’s the sales manager at Carmina and she also handles all direct sales. Betty’s sisters; Carmina and Magda are both shoe designers and work for their father’s company. Antonio Albaladejo (or Tony as some of you may know him as) is José’s son and the man in charge; he is the Managing Director of the company. Mr. Albaladejo’s passion is for design so he seems more than comfortable to let his capable son Antonio run the company. One of Antonio’s kids name is…yeah you guessed it: Carmina.

[​IMG]
    Adam a.k.a Earnest with Betty Albaladejo

José Albaladejo has two more sons (Mr. Albaladejo is productive in several fields of expertise as it seems :D) and they own Meermin. Pepe Albaladejo is José Albaladejo's grandson.

The primary language spoken in the Carmina factory is actually not Spanish; it’s Mallorquin. This is a completely separate language from Spanish, not a dialect, but Mallorquin is similar to Catalan. The written language is similar to Spanish but anyone who knows Spanish can testify that spoken Mallorquin/Catalan is very, very hard to understand.

Natural sole edge Spanish: canto cuero Mallorquin: cant cuir
    No pull tab Spanish: sin tirador Mallorquin: sense tirador
    Flat laces Spanish: cordones platos Mallorquin: cordons plats
    Excuse me Spanish: perdón Mallorquin: perdoni
    How are you Spanish: cómo está Mallorquin: com va

Mr. Albaladejo used to travel in the US and this is where he got the inspiration for the names of some of his lasts; Detroit, Philadelphia etc. After that he switched to Majorcan cities and villages; Inca, Soller, Alcudia etc. The new lasts though…no one knows but him.

Inca used to be a major shoe manufacturing center back in the days. At one time over 50 shoemaker factories where open for business here, now only two remain.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These two shoes were owned by José Albaladejo's grandfather, so they must be over 100 years or so.

14 people like this.
  3. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Great post, thank you so much! :)

4. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Senior member

Agree with Louis. Wonderful post.

5. sdolina

sdolina Senior member

Many thanks Leaves, never knew.

6. NORE

NORE Senior member

7. Leaves

Forgot to post this earlier, part of our spring arrivals: Carmina model 955, Sand (Noix) Suede, Forest last, double leather sole with storm welt (UK 7-11). 2720 SEK ex VAT (about $420).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Concub1ne

Concub1ne Senior member

The noix suede seems a bit more subdued in those. I don't know if it's the lighting or what, but I like it better like this.

9. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

Very nice simple design indeed. Would you recommend sizing for Forest Last the same as, say Oscar Last?

I hope they one day make them in a red brown polo suede as this colour for some reason reminds me of Timberlands.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  10. Leaves

The Noix/Sand suede does actually look less yellow in real life although there are some variantions to the different batches. We have three models in this colour and the one that looks least yellow is the "Sandy Chukka". Suede often pales a little after a few washes so I'm thinking Noix will look absolutely stunning after a little wear.

Oscar and Forest fits differently but I would still recommend the same size in both lasts. Oscar is slightly tighter in the instep and heel. Carmina does not have a Polo Suede similar to G&G (an absolutely stunning suede colour BTW). They have brown and snuff suede.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  11. Leaves

As discussed before, I started up an new Big Feet thread. Hope it can be of help. As you know we only have a limited selection of UK 11+ sizes ourselves but I'm more than happy to refer you to any of our colleagues if they can help you.

X-post:
    Please e-mail us for details. EG and G&G to follow soon.

Model 732, UK 11.
    [​IMG]

Model 10003, brown and black calf in UK 11.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

80302 in UK 11 and 11.5
    [​IMG]

910 in UK 11.5
    [​IMG]

80201 in brown, UK 11, in black in UK 11.5
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

80231 in UK 11, 11.5
    [​IMG]

80289 in UK 11
    [​IMG]

803 in UK 11
    [​IMG]

80302 in UK 11, 11.5
    [​IMG]

813 black calf and burgundy Cordovan, both in UK 11
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

922 in UK 12
    [​IMG]

923 in UK 12
    [​IMG]

955 in UK 11
    [​IMG]

815 in UK 11
    [​IMG]

80092 Grain/Brown Calf in UK 11, 11.5
    [​IMG]

80092 Suede/Brown Calf in UK 11.5, 12
    [​IMG]

80092 Suede/Black Calf in UK 11.5
    [​IMG]

80216 in UK 11
    [​IMG]

973 in UK 11
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  12. Flame

Flame Senior member

Suede / Calf combo looks good.

13. stevent

stevent Senior member

Just wanted to say shoe trees are super super super nice, red color is really rich

14. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

15. Leaves

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  16. Keen

Keen Senior member

I was in yesterday and paid the deposit for the Galway MTO. Ended up going with an 11.5 in E-width, but a bit concerned since I couldn't try the actual last in that size. Hopefully it turns out alright, but nervous since this is my first (but hopefully not last) major shoe purchase. I tried an 11.5 in F-width in, what I think, was a brownish captoe from EG, and that felt too wide but fine lenghtwise.
    I tried an 11 in a black captoe, and that was way too small. No clue about which lasts those were unfortunately.

17. Joshua Lee

Joshua Lee Senior member

I'm excited that skoak is taking an interest in large feet fellows. Unfortunately I'll need to wait until my Carmina pre-order comes in before commiting to purchasing more. Haven't had the chance to try a Carmina last yet, so I'll have to wait for my queens last ruby bals to arrive or visit the Paris store and get fitted.

18. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

4 sure.

19. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

+1 for each color

just curious, Leaves, you have these custom made, so I assume you had the final say on the overall shape/profile (of the last)? If so, how did you come up with the shape?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  20. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Has anyone had any issues ordering from here and getting things sent to the US? Any customs fees? I'm talking to Patrik over email (very helpful and reassuring) and he's never heard of any.

I'm still a little shy on pulling the trigger on the loafers, scared of extra charges.