1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin’s, Rubinacci – Offi

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I would still buy the Carmina if they would make it again.
    What was the pricetag on the G&G?
    Last time I asked, I was told they wouldn't do it without putting a seam on the vamp.

2. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Thanks and yea they look great! They should be able to give us good ideas of some leather colors we can choose

I guess it can based on that picture but Shell with gator would probably be expensive.

A lot of variety from casual like jeans but I guess they can be dressed up with pants.

3. Shoesnwine

Shoesnwine Member

I'll be experimenting! Smart jeans or chinos in subtle colours probably.

4. Shoesnwine

Shoesnwine Member

TG73, both are insanely cooler IRL by the way. Oh and stingray feels a bit like a pair of wellingtons - soft, rubbery and just follows your foot with every bend. First feel is that I don't have to break them in at all in comparison to calf and croc leather.

5. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

the g&g's are nice. direct mto?

6. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

No suits with the stingray? I feel like it could be done.

7. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Thank you very much!

1 person likes this.
  8. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Why aren't these worn!

9. Maaasih

Maaasih Member

After the recent price bump, are Carmina's still worth getting or should I get EB's?

10. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Get what you like I prefer EB :D

11. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

I think you already know the answer. The price difference is so small that it's easy to justify the price difference between the two. If you can find the style you want in EB and it fits there is no reason not to go EB.

12. Maaasih

Maaasih Member

Damn, is the quality of EB's that much better? I currently have two Carmina's but no experience with EB's...

13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I own one of each and would be hard pressed to say EB is measurably better. The EB sole and edge treatment is maybe better, and if you appreciate the artisan ship of welt stitching by hand, there's that. Maybe the EB lasts are a little prettier, and the MTO options are greater and more affordable.

14. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

One word. Handmade.

That, and Enzo Bonafe is some 80 years old...chances are he might not make shoes for much longer. Not to mention that EB is handwelted and only has a 15% MTO fee. Dare I say they can be evenly compared to StC's?

15. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Good run for the money yes lol but I would not stretch it that far lol

1 person likes this.
  16. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Personally I would say from what I've seen EB has a number of more aesthetically pleasing shoes and boots from what I've seen. I don't have any yet so I don't know how their leather compares to what Carmina uses.

17. Maaasih

Maaasih Member

Wow you guys convinced me [​IMG] What EB last is most comparable to Carmina's Simpson last? I am a 9UK in Simpsons; should I go with the same size for EB?

18. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

It's better than carmina but it's personal thing. Like my whole cut suede boots by EB excited about them :D

19. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

I really like the Rain last, but might have to go with the extra wide option (EEE) from now on, which I believe is available only for MTO.

EB is super reasonable price wise. The 804, 363MOD, and 946 are all beautiful lasts.

20. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

I'm not sure about that. Simpson last has me scared off as I don't think I can try anything smaller than Forest. That said I have several pairs of Forest and Rain lasted shoes, and 1 pair of EB on the 946 last. My UK9 Bonafe on the 946 fits substantially larger than a UK9 Forest, maybe closer to Rain in terms of volume but the 946 definitely has a higher instep. Obviously this is a small sample size, but I would be surprised if you wore the same size in Simpson and 946. Maybe someone else that owns both will chime in with more definitive advice ...