1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin’s, Rubinacci – Offi

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Quick questions gents sale rep told me not to use saphire pomadier for Stcrispin & EG shoes it damages them or strip there natural color. Is this true or it would be safe to use it on them? I was little puzzled by it. So figured to ask, better be safe than be sorry.

2. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Pommadier is more than safe as it is the cream based polish with lots of nutrients and pigments...

But rather NOT Renovateur.

Reno is very potent. You can spike it 50/50 with Saphir Universal Cream Polish for a little better results.

Renovateur is very strong, containing enough agents to strip shoes of their delicate finishings.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  3. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Holy crap I just used saphir renovateur on new shoe to give them good conditioner and shines once. Till other polish & wax comes in

4. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

So when is the time to use it I was under impression you use renovateur to conditioner & during normal shine etc

5. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

Love those Galways, flimsychicken. Great idea to use Utah on the uppers.

6. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I don't know about the feel, but they have a similar grain.

@MoosicPa may be able to answer. I believe he has some Utah.

7. armsignet

armsignet Senior member

Renovateur is fine as a neutral polish. It is Renomat that strips a shoe and should be used sparingly.

8. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

That's what I thought also so just went back & read what it said & thank you for your input sir

9. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Don't fret...too much.

Renovateur is to be used very sparingly. It does a good job at helping to remove residual filth and polish that may be built up on the surface of the shoes.

I would use it maybe only 1 or 2 times per year on shoes and boots that absolutely "Need" it.

Renovateur is a deep conditioner. Its stripping and cleaning properties are perhaps more pronounced that its conditioning properties IMO.

Some of the instances where Reno has been overzealous are when used on crust leathers that have hand applied finishing.

You could use Renovatuer 99 times before it ever gave you an issue...but, its that 100th time that will get you.

Thanks.

10. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Renomat will strip the shoes all the way down to their original unfinished state.

Renovatuer, although not nearly as strong, can and will strip shoes as well.

This is why so many recommend Renovatuer for the first application in a high shine. It will remove all the residual surface dirt and grime and layers of older wax polish...

And, it has the potential to remove some of the factory finishing as well.

Can Saphir Renovateur be used as a neutral shoe cream?

Yes.

But, I assure you that is not its primary purpose.

Thanks.

11. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

12. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

13. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

This is IMO the best conditioner:
    http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/collections/shoe-care/products/bick-4

If you have not tried it, please do. It's carried by us but is also available at cobblers and leather goods merchants in the U.S.

2 people like this.
  14. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Anyone know how long post office holds international packages for? I can't pick up my package for a few days and don't want it shipped back.

15. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

They will hold it for two weeks at least they did for me that's how I found out.

16. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

17. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

RenoMAT is very strong and will strip shoes of their finish - indeed, that is its purpose. Renovateur is a comparatively gentle cleaner and conditioner. I have used it on a great many pairs of shoes without difficulty. Don't glob it on and don't use it 3 times a week.

18. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Good to know I just used it once to put a shine on new shoe. Till my other cream & Polish saphir products come in.

19. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

@Leaves

Perhaps I could get you to stuff a bottle of that in my next incoming package from Sweden?

Good looking out on the Bick 4 by the way.

20. IGotId

IGotId Senior member

Anybody else still waiting on their EB Jan MTO?

1 person likes this.