1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin’s, Rubinacci – Offi

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I recommend you take a look and compare them, and pick the one that works best for you. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but I prefer the Thorpe.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  2. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Ok.

Thanks for the rec.

This will be my first venture into Calfskin that is in this realm.

IDK if I am willing to take the plunge yet.

Also, is "F" width EG slightly wide fitting?

Finally, what is the normal price range for these boots Thorpe and Nevis?

Thanks.

3. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

I'm with @bespoken pa; EG takes the cake on pig bristle stitching.

Everything else is second rate at best behind the Dover, Nevis et al.

4. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Yes, F is slightly wide for both EG and G&G. If buying from Skoak your looking slightly north of 1k for both and a little more if having to go MTO. However I'm not sure but they may have both in various versions due to be here in the fall. You may want to check on their website or send them an email.

5. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

Not for my money. :sly:

6. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Have a look at these comparison pics I posted in the EG thread a while back. Personally, I am still undecided about which I prefer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Thanks, d*3. You know I was just giving you a hard time, right? I'm truly happy to wait an extra few months. As you say, I already have enough boots (is there such a thing?) that I really don't need to be adding anymore. But I think that's everybody's story here.

8. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I will take EG over GG 99 tines out of 100 however the Thorpe is that exception.

9. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

@hoodog

Is the Thorpe in Rustic Arran grain from Skoak? If so, have you done anything to them since you got them? (polish, condition)

The hue on yours is really nice. I recall the pair I saw on Savile Row had a mustard-y tone, less like a burnt caramel, so I wasn't entirely impressed in person. But these look great.

Personally, I don't like the squared apron on the Nevis. Also, the apron doesn't appear as wide; the Thorpe's apron seems to hug the contours of the toe box, looking more natural.

10. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Thanks! It is the same make up, but my pair was bought directly from GG. It could still be from the same batch though as the SkoAB shoes.

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

For me the swoop is a change of pace after three Galways. Its my understanding that the Nevis could be ordered with the round instead of the squared apron, however something else always looked better on the Thorpe. Something always looked different too me when I looked at the Thorpe and it's apron and this must be it. Well said. The overall contours in fact just somehow look better on the Thorpe too me. Besides I was advised the MH71 was a better Last than the 606 for fit. Personally I think with regard to look when it comes to these boots the MH71 looks better than the 606.

12. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I agree. My Brand of choice is EG but G&G does a better job with the Thorpe in my opinion.

13. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Yeah I know, I'm just getting a bit impatient with this Falkirk order. I think for the most part they do a decent job, but every once in awhile there are some that can be a bit more trying. Here's hoping yours come in at the 4 to 5 month period and not that over 7 time frame.

14. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Great Pics, thanks for the comparison shots.

15. lartiste

lartiste Senior member

Love your button boots, these are definitelly amazing! Congratulation, really good choice!

16. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

[​IMG] Thanks man. They are very comfortable. Maiden voyage this week weather permitting.

17. lartiste

lartiste Senior member

I will definitelly make MTO [​IMG], hope you will not raise copyright claim agaist me [​IMG].

18. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

Copy away my man! Bonafe has a ton of options to choose from when it comes to MTO. I would take your time when selecting and definitely reach out to the guys at skoak. Gabriel gave me some great insight during the process and helped me narrow down my choices. Good luck and post pics when they come in.

19. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

What size do you take on button boots vs usa sizing & how do they fit like in lace shoes you can tighten up the laces.

20. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

Can anyone comment on which Enzo B color in their MTO program would be the closet to GG/EG "Oak"?