• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patrik: Any comments on the relative finish of G&G and Carmina hatchgrain?

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Patrik: Any comments on the relative finish of G&G and Carmina hatchgrain?

Carmina finishes their hatchgrain by themselves. I don't know the process. It looks very nice (not as nice as G&G but that cannot be expected). But I'm very happy with the outcome of these. Because they are so new we have not yet had any feedback from clients who have worn them in the wild yet.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

All-- Let's get the above MTO going. Patrik just needs a list of all interested participants. Please PM me and I will forward to him. Here is a pic of Unipair's rain last shortwing boot: Also, does everyone want full Dainite or are people up for the York sole? Note from Leaves: Single Dainite
Let's get this GMTO started guys. The U-tip boot did not get traction so we'll try with this one, we had five interested in this model before. Style: Wingtip boot Model number: 80277 Last: Rain Color: Dark Cognac Shell Cordovan Welt: Flat Outsole: Single Dainite Eyelets: 8 (4 blind, 4 speed hooks) Lining: purple Price: 4700 SEK including worldwide shipping (ex VAT) approx. $720. Deposit: 50%. Please e-mail [email protected] if you're interested. Please provide your UK size in Rain, your PayPal e-mail address and a shipping address. EDIT: corrected dollar exchange rate.

Last edited:

calidist

Reaction score
Let's get this GMTO started guys. The U-tip boot did not get traction so we'll try with this one, we had five interested in this model before.

Style: Wingtip boot
Model number: 80277
Last: Rain
Color: Dark Cognac Shell Cordovan
Welt: Flat
Outsole: Single Dainite
Eyelets: 8 (4 blind, 4 speed hooks)
Lining: purple

Price: 4700 SEK including worldwide shipping (ex VAT) approx. $720. Deposit: 50%.

Please e-mail [email protected] if you're interested. Please provide your UK size in Rain, your PayPal e-mail address and a shipping address.

EDIT: corrected dollar exchange rate.
Any chance this can be done with a double dainite instead of single. If so, I'm in. Single sole doesn't work for my finicky feet.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info about the hatchgrain. So, is the idea of the u-cap boot dead?

Noroi

Reaction score
Let's get this GMTO started guys. The U-tip boot did not get traction so we'll try with this one, we had five interested in this model before.

Style: Wingtip boot
Model number: 80277
Last: Rain
Color: Dark Cognac Shell Cordovan
Welt: Flat
Outsole: Single Dainite
Eyelets: 8 (4 blind, 4 speed hooks)
Lining: purple

Price: 4700 SEK including worldwide shipping (ex VAT) approx. $720. Deposit: 50%.

Please e-mail [email protected] if you're interested. Please provide your UK size in Rain, your PayPal e-mail address and a shipping address.

EDIT: corrected dollar exchange rate.

This is a great model. We should easily be able to get enough people for this (perhaps we already have?), especially given the interest I saw in the last few weeks.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Any chance this can be done with a double dainite instead of single.  If so, I'm in.  Single sole doesn't work for my finicky feet.

If this isn't a deal breaker for anyone else, I can't see why not. But we'll have to see what the others have to say.

calidist

Reaction score
If this isn't a deal breaker for anyone else, I can't see why not. But we'll have to see what the others have to say.
Sounds good. Those other folks who intend to participate in this MTO, are you opposed to a double dainite sole instead of a single dainite sole? I need the double to participate and help make this MTO happen.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds good.  Those other folks who intend to participate in this MTO, are you opposed to a double dainite sole instead of a single dainite sole?  I need the double to participate and help make this MTO happen.

I'd need to see photos and/or read more information. In my imagination, any extra thickness resulting from double anything would detract from a modern, elegant, chiselled last like the Rain.

I'd have less hesitation with such a sole on a jumper boot or a chukka on some last with a rounder toe (e.g. Oscar).

calidist

Reaction score
I'd need to see photos and/or read more information. In my imagination, any extra thickness resulting from double anything would detract from a modern, elegant, chiselled last like the Rain.

I'd have less hesitation with such a sole on a jumper boot or a chukka on some last with a rounder toe (e.g. Oscar).
I don't think it makes a significant visual difference, though it does make a significant comfort difference. Skoak's website has plentiful exemplars of both double (e.g. http://skoaktiebolaget.se/news/carmina-861-burgundy-calf) and single dainite (e.g. http://skoaktiebolaget.se/news/carmina-748-brown-calf) soles.

easy_golfing

Reaction score
I'd be interested in a U-cap boot but I'd like to see how the Oscar GMTO boots fit first.

Barcelona

Reaction score
Sounds good. Those other folks who intend to participate in this MTO, are you opposed to a double dainite sole instead of a single dainite sole? I need the double to participate and help make this MTO happen.

I'm not interested in this particular MTO, but what exactly is the difference between dainite and double dainite?

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds good.  Those other folks who intend to participate in this MTO, are you opposed to a double dainite sole instead of a single dainite sole?  I need the double to participate and help make this MTO happen.

Just my opinion but I think there's a noticeable difference between double leather and double Dainite and that double leather would be a better match for the Rain last. Compare the burgundy boot that you linked to from Skoak with the one below from Epaulet (and I'm trying to ignore the welt when I compare the Skoak boot). And if the group wants Dainite in some form, single seems like a better match.

Since we're essentially having the same conversation here and in the Gentlemen's Footwear thread, and you have legit feet issues, I should say that I'm only going to join one of the two and would prefer the wingtip to the captoe. (Though my first choice would be the u-cap.)

If I have a chance maybe I'll set up a Google form to see if we can sort out what everyone's preferences are.

7119070467_da18e93543_b_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

calidist

Reaction score
Just my opinion but I think there's a noticeable difference between double leather and double Dainite and that double leather would be a better match for the Rain last. Compare the burgundy boot that you linked to from Skoak with the one below from Epaulet (and I'm trying to ignore the welt when I compare the Skoak boot). And if the group wants Dainite in some form, single seems like a better match.

Since we're essentially having the same conversation here and in the Gentlemen's Footwear thread, and you have legit feet issues, I should say that I'm only going to join one of the two and would prefer the wingtip to the captoe. (Though my first choice would be the u-cap.)

If I have a chance maybe I'll set up a Google form to see if we can sort out what everyone's preferences are.

7119070467_da18e93543_b_1024x1024.jpg
If it is between double dainite, single dainite, and double leather, my preference is:
double dainite > double leather > single dainite

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads