1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin’s, Rubinacci – Offi

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Dumb question about the Thorpe GMTO.
    How can you have both blind eyelets and speedhooks?
    I have never seen a picture of a boot with that setup.
    The link on Skoak describes that, but I don't really understand.
    If in fact it is the case, does anyone have a photo to show what this would look like (on any boot)?
    @Leaves

2. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Blake is made by a machine. The Enzo Bonafé shoes we normally carry are hand welted (Norvegese and what Bonafé calls Goodyear hand welted). When Bonafé refers to Goodyear welted, they are actually meaning hand welted, it's a lost in translation kinda deal. Basically, Bonafé has a complete Goodyear production line, but where other makers has Goodyear welting machines, Bonafé has two old dudes hand welting. If you search for Enzo Bonafé on Youtube you can actually see a clip of hand sewing in the factory.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  3. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Hi BK, i have that set up in all my carmina bal boots. Here is how they look like on a bal boot.
    [​IMG]

4. Leaves

[​IMG]

5. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

thanks, Gents.

6. Leaves

1 person likes this.
  7. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Thanks Leaves. It's always good to know more about the shoes we just cant seem to get enough.

Speaking about EB, those MTO austerity boots in llama calf posted over at IG are outstanding. If anybody else is interested to do an MTO of the old stock version with the green suede shaft but with reh llama calf uppers instead of the brown calfskin, and with norvegese welt then let me know. I know boot season is over, but there's always next fall.

8. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

Wow...don't say this often, but I want another black cap toe. The @wurger influence is strong.

2 people like this.
  9. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

Yep. @wurger was the reason I purchased my first pair of black caps last year.

1 person likes this.
  10. Spurious

Spurious Senior member

11. BingoLiddle

BingoLiddle Well-Known Member

Yep. Not yet ventured into Tassel Land but I have to say these are delightful.

12. striker

striker Senior member

Those are all I want except the last. High instep last and loafers don't go well, at least for me. I wish EB had a lower instep last.

13. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I don't even like loafers and I want those.

14. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I am shocked by this revelation

15. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Partly due to my high instep making them a tough fit, but that aside there seem to be any number of styles I am drawn to ahead of loafers. No hate, just not my fave.

16. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

That black captoe is exceptional. Lots of possibilities with that model.

17. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

just messing with you really as I picture you sitting poolside in the summer with a cold drink and a pair of suede loafers

You ought to try the XIM last from Carmina sometime. I have found it to be a really great loafer last and address the high instep issue

1 person likes this.
  18. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

@Leaves or anybody who can answer this really:

Would it be a smart move to go down a half size from the rain last for the 804? If the instep is higher then rain I'm thinking it could be a good move for myself, so long as the last is still elongated.

19. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

Everything I have seen says to take the same size on 804 as Rain. Rain fits me really well, and I have never had to go down 1.5 sizes from US to UK. I'll have first hand input next week [​IMG]

20. Leaves

I have three pairs of Isham, two in calf and one in Kudu, all on MH71. I also have Hove on DG70 in Arran Grain. My first impression is that Kudu performs more similar to grain than normal calf. I'm going to use BICK4 for maintenance and if needed, a neutral polish.

2 people like this.