• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GG Burnham chelsea GMTO looks insane...

Last edited:

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the heck is the difference between G&G Vintage Cedar and Vintage Chestnut? I can only discern a slightly more orange cast on the Chestnut, else indiscernable from pics.

@NAMOR

If you're not heir to the Hearst fortune, I give up. You should just register each pair as it's own S corp and use them as tax shelters.

Navy Utah Galway!$@&?(&"

(I actually love the Navy Utah Kentmere in the pic)

Burnham is sooooo tempting. Would you guys use that as your lone brown shade dress boot, in place of a bal? Or would you prefer a proper bal boot?

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What the heck is the difference between G&G Vintage Cedar and Vintage Chestnut? I can only discern a slightly more orange cast on the Chestnut, else indiscernable from pics.

Burnham is sooooo tempting. Would you guys use that as your lone brown shade dress boot, in place of a bal? Or would you prefer a proper bal boot?

I think Cedar is more of a mid brown with a little red undertones and chestnut is more tan and as you noted, more orange.

Also, chelsea boots are different enough from balmoral boots to justify both. Balmoral boot is less versatile though as I think it only looks proper with a suit since it is so formal. Chelsea boot can be worn with anything from jeans to (depending on your environment and tastes) suits.

To be honest, it will take you like 3 minutes to put on balmoral boots with blind eyelets and less than a minute to slip on a chelsea. So nice for the busy man.

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love Chelsea's but that last is probably a bit sleek for me. Great looking boot though

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sacafotos here you go just for you. from left to right Maple, Pine, Chestnut, Cedar, Oak

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@sacafotos here you go just for you. from left to right Maple, Pine, Chestnut, Cedar, Oak

Thank you! Huge help.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hope this helps:

Edit: Just saw Laufer's response too late...

Last edited:

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@JubeiSpiegel

Thanks. I think Chestnut has more pop. If I got a mid brown shade shoe, the design would have to be awesome, because the color isn't unique enough to my eyes.

Great shoes, fellas.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@JubeiSpiegel

Thanks. I think Chestnut has more pop. If I got a mid brown shade shoe, the design would have to be awesome, because the color isn't unique enough to my eyes.

Great shoes, fellas.

Cedar is a mid brown with a touch of red, fantastic color, and would be more versatile than chestnut IMO. You can't go wrong with either though...

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and I forgot these. I know I'm going to MTO these one day...

Astaire / Sand Suede & Vintage Cherry / DG70 / Single Leather Sole

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and I forgot these. I know I'm going to MTO these one day...

Astaire / Sand Suede & Vintage Cherry / DG70 / Single Leather Sole

I love the GG vintage cherry! It is the richest red leather that i have ever seen, especially in the ones with more finishing/polishing like in the St. James

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love the GG vintage cherry! It is the richest red leather that i have ever seen, especially in the ones with more finishing/polishing like in the St. James

Agreed. St James Vintage Cherry is iconic and my favorite shoe to wear. I haven't really seen other vintage cherry makeups that I like as much though.

@JubeiSpiegel

Great shoes, fellas.

Depends on lighting I think. I think vintage cedar can have a nice pop. Can look really red in some photos.

Though, counterpoint:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads