• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
J. FitzPatrick Footwear Trunk Show at Skoaktiebolaget May 9-10.

Please help us welcome Justin FitzPatrick, also knows as "The Shoes Snob", on Friday to Saturday May 9-10 for a special pop-up trunk show. As most shoe freaks, I often read Justin's blog The Shoe Snob Blog and although Skoaktiebolaget does not stock Justin's line ourselves we think it's a really fun opportunity to meet Justin and offer him to let Swedish customer's sample his goods. Justin will bring a number of samples as well as three ready-to-wear models that can be purchased in the store. For more info please follow this link.

hanoiboy

Reaction score
Is the supply for shell cordovan back to normal? Iv been out of touch.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I don't know long you've been away, but it is most likely worse.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

J. FitzPatrick Footwear Trunk Show at Skoaktiebolaget May 9-10.

Please help us welcome Justin FitzPatrick, also knows as "The Shoes Snob", on Friday to Saturday May 9-10 for a special pop-up trunk show. As most shoe freaks, I often read Justin's blog The Shoe Snob Blog and although Skoaktiebolaget does not stock Justin's line ourselves we think it's a really fun opportunity to meet Justin and offer him to let Swedish customer's sample his goods. Justin will bring a number of samples as well as three ready-to-wear models that can be purchased in the store. For more info please follow this link.

Wish you a very successful event! I have been following Justin's blog for quite a while. He's knowledge on shoes is really impressive and I also like his shoes! Really hope I can be there but I am on the other side of the world.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

^^^ Cool.  I wish you all a successful event.

Thanks Roger!

Thanks, Leaves!

Thank you. :)

No, it's pretty bad, no one really knows when the situation will improve.

Wish you a very successful event! I have been following Justin's blog for quite a while. He's knowledge on shoes is really impressive and I also like his shoes! Really hope I can be there but I am on the other side of the world.

Thank you!

andrel42

Reaction score
Wishing you a great event with Justin! I have at least 5 pairs of his shoes already and always looking for more
smile.gif

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Any idea why the shortage is happening?

I have no idea, I can only speculate. Possibly it's a combination of higher demand, a shortage of hides and maybe a few batches gone wrong. Hopefully it's temporary. If it's a permanent issue in production or a general and long term shortage of hides (there's a decrease of horses being slaughtered in the US I'm told) we might look at a significant increase in Shell prices. Let's hope not. There are also other tanneries of Cordovan but nothing I've seen so far beats Horween Cordovan.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea of all the reasons behind the shortage, the degree to which they contribute, or any real means of quantifying or comparing the apparent present shortage to days past.

I will say that my perception of the shell supply over time is that it is cyclical. These past couple years, it has been rather plentiful, IMO. We've seen stock, MTOs and GMTOs in every shade of shell including navy, ruby red and loden green. Not to mention every earth tone shade of tan to dark brown.

Now, if you only shop for Alden shell, you might well perceive a chronic and pervasive shell shortage, as they never have much on offer beyond color 8 and black. But that's Alden's issue.

I look at older posts from 4-5 years back, and it seems there were lean times then as well in terms of shell supply. Bit it has not been - as I perceive it - a linear reduction from the bountiful good old days (at least in the contemporary context over the past 10 years or so) to the sparse present. Which suggests to me there will be comparatively bountiful times ahead. But all of that is speculation on my part.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
speaking of speculation . . . . I agree that previous shortages have cycled but I think we need to consider a sort of 'backlog' of supply
in terms of the numbers of working stock used around the world which may be signaling an end to the supply of hides.

if horses were raised as a fairly dominant meat or milk supply, such as cattle or reindeer, my loosely defined theory would be out the window.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Agree with the above, though I'm not sure that the dwindling supply of hides explains the periodic short-term ups and downs. Horse hides have been in a state of decline in terms of supply since circa World War 1, no? I do agree that over the long haul, increased demand and reduced supply will inevitably trend toward increased prices for shell. I'm just not remotely sure over what term that will be. As for the supply drying up completely and permanently, I'm 50, and doubt I will see the end of shell supply in my lifetime. And again - pure speculation here.

sdolina

Reaction score
Hi Patrick, any news about gmto Carmina winter boots? What went wrong with it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads