1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin’s, Rubinacci – Offi

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Senior member

Oh my. I have long coveted a burgundy beauty on the 804 last.

2. Hermitize

Hermitize Well-Known Member

FWIW, I have a burgundy beauty from SKOAK on the 946, and its just awesome. Really beautiful, and I'm sure the 804 will be perfect. Now, trying to talk myself out of that raven oxford....

3. Keen

Keen Senior member

Haha @Leaves

Thanks! But I think something brownish is next on the list, suede or calf. Maybe a dbl monk. Anything fitting that description on the horizon from EB or someone else?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  4. vmss

vmss Senior member

@leaves any hints or info for the Carmina spring/summer collection? I remember last year you had a list posted on your website.

5. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I believe we have three brown double monks in stock now. Plenty of good stuff on the way from different brands. Coming in Feb/March/April.

1 person likes this.
  6. Leaves

Sorry, we're not posting any list pre-launch anymore for various reasons. @vmss

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  7. ino68

ino68 Senior member

Also it adds some excitement to see the new drops without knowing beforehand!

8. Keen

Keen Senior member

Yes, I might have to stop by and try those Carlos Santos. Or save up (i.e stop buying wine) for the John Lobb Chapels...

Understandable!

9. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Just taken delivery of these, my maiden Saint Crispin's and I am delighted.

Superb service from start to finish from everyone at Skoaktiebolaget too, very impressive. :slayer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  10. insy

insy Senior member

For those who own SC as well as G&G, how do they compare?

11. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]I have both. 2 pairs of SC (personalized last) and many more pairs of GG.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Design: I generally like GG design more. Some SC are very difficult for me to wear.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Fit: It is very personal. GG fits me well as heel cup is smaller. SC has more arch support support.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Shape: SC last is more roomier by default. When I got the right size, the outside measurement is shorter than GG and SC does not have much extra space at toe box in terms of length. It affects the choice of design.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Leather: Dye on crust leather of my SC seems quite light. After wearing one day, crease shows some whiteness easily and it looks quite tired after a day of wearing. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Craftsman ship: GG quality varies from year to year. RTW to MTO etc.[/COLOR]

The above comments are based on my limited experience.

3 people like this.
  12. anderz

anderz Senior member

[​IMG]

Carmina CXL longwings.
    First pair in chromexcel which aren't a boot and they are perfect for rain and sleet which is basically the standard for our climate 6 months of the year up here.

4 people like this.
  13. Leaves

I own about a dozen pairs of both, they are two of my favorite makers. They are both really well made shoes, but also very, very different.

First of all, one has to understand the basic differences between the two makers. Gaziano & Girling is a machine made Goodyear welted shoe. One could argue that the basic differences between G&G, EG, JL, C&J, etc are actually quite small. Of course they differ in quality, leather, finish, styling etc. But they are all Goodyear welted, machine made shoes. I love my G&G, don't get me wrong, but from a craftsmanship perspective, well, there's a big difference. Now G&G is very well crafted for a "bench made" shoe, but still.

Saint Crispin's is a different beast. First of all, they are more or less completely made by hand. They are hand welted, as opposed to G&G. They have a wood pegged waist. The trees are hollowed out, and lasted for each single pair (G&G trees are generic these days, unfortunately). The coloring process is different as well; StC use natural crust leather that is stained by hand.The amount of hand crafting that goes into a pair of StC amazing.

I'm not saying a StC shoe is way better than G&G, JL or EG or any other top premium brand, just because of the level of craftsmanship, plenty of of people would argue both for and against. The truth is they are so different it's hard to make a fair comparison. I think people need both in their rotation (but I would say something like that, wouldn't I :D )

The freedom of choice is what really swayed me from G&G to StC. You can do just about anything, both from a fitting perspective and a style perspective. For a small surcharge you can created a completely new style. I do love the G&G lasts though, no need arguing that.

Here are a few vids from the StC factory:
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

6 people like this.
  14. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

maiden voyage, smitten :nodding:

[​IMG]

13 people like this.
  15. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Get both problem solved I love my gg & Saint c but also agree with bamboo above regarding Saint c input my experience is same I love Saint c suede though :D

16. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

My experience is a little different. With G & G I have a decent fit on MH71 but much less so on TG73. Fit on SC's is wonderful once dialed in, but that didn't happen with the first--or second--pair. I haven't had Bamboo's experience with St.C's leather and dying. The leather seems to me to be very high quality, a touch better than that used by G&G. Ultimately I like both shoes a lot, but St C is a better value for me. I need a F width in G&G which usually means MTO surcharge at which point the price is very close to St C. Even then the fit isn't quite as good as St. C. If I were easier to fit and wore a standard E width, I might have a different calculation.

17. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

And could someone re-chime in on the size comparisons - GG8.5=StC8? I know it may have been asked a thousand times, but for the sake of a potential internet purchase please...

18. youtubs

youtubs Senior member

Enzo Bonafe today.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

For me this is correct. 11 in G&G, 10.5 is St. C. Remember that for St. C. "F" is medium width.

20. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

@Leaves (or anyone who knows), does Lobb Core Collection (or MTO) permit last changes?