1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin’s, Rubinacci – Offi

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

I pre-ordered a pair of these Carlos Santos field boots in UK10 (316 last). What size shoe trees do you recommend in your house trees?

2. Skoaktiebolaget

Skoaktiebolaget Senior member Affiliate Vendor

It would be safe and a good recommendation to go with a UK 9 but we will also test a UK 10 for the shoe trees before sending the boots out to find the best fitting shoe trees.

3. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Senior member

Would it be possible to organize a GMTO for a G&G Thorpe in VOAK? Or has that relationship soured?

4. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yeah I know but I decided against it these last seasons for a few different reasons.

5. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

We've tried to organise a few GG GMTOs recently but none took off. It has become increasingly difficult. Overall GG sales have dropped significantly ever since we brought in StC. And for other reasons as well.

1 person likes this.
  6. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

EG Brandy Willow Dovers x Skoaktiebolaget today:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    6 people like this.
  7. Bower

Bower Senior member

Any chance of a brown Carmina chelsea boot in the Simpsom last?

8. GeoffreyB

GeoffreyB Active Member

I would be interested in the G&G Thorpe in VOAK or VOAK and hatch grain combo? I would need to contact Skoak and nail down my size.

9. tdes81

tdes81 Senior member

I find that interesting. Apart from the cost -- G&G is slightly more expensive when you factor in the cost for their shoe trees -- I feel like G&G makes a more attractive shoe/boot. Their lasts and patterns are gorgeous. I guess maybe too fashion forward for some...

Of course with St. C you get a handwelt, more options for customization, and much easier MTO...

3 people like this.
  10. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I think the total opposite. StC is a far prettier shoe. Makes sense to me that StC took some of G&G's business. Different strokes for different folks.

2 people like this.
  11. tdes81

tdes81 Senior member

Interesting. I find St. C's better looking patterns to be quite conservative (not in a bad way), and then some of their other ones to be fairly eccentric, and some borderline odd.

G&G on the other hand when their patterns are a bit off I think they errs on being a bit foppish.

Definitely different strokes for different folks. And also not saying that both makers don't have quite a few patterns that I absolutely love. I think it's more that G&G just has a few iconic styles that really make me go "wow, I want that."

12. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Senior member

It's six of the same width, right, to avoid the MTO fee?

13. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

Correct.

14. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

@Leaves Received my package today from the GMTO for the Bonafe "version 2.0" black stitchcap on the 804 with Rombe waist, i.e. the group order with 100% handwelting, not the combo HW/Blake as was the original version. No time for pics but the look and feel are fantastic.

I was skeptical the shoe would tolerate my width and high instep, despite the claims, but I think it is going to be fine. Thank you to everyone on your end for patiently answering everyone's questions, especially on sizing. These are almost "too nice to wear" but I bet I get over that. [​IMG]

Happy New Year, indeed.

2 people like this.
  15. urban

urban Senior member

@Leaves
    @Skoaktiebolaget

Are the shoe trees for the EB Oak Tsamjo GMTO BOOT trees?

16. Skoaktiebolaget

Skoaktiebolaget Senior member Affiliate Vendor

No, they are normal shoe trees. Boot trees are not available.

1 person likes this.
  17. lartiste

lartiste Senior member

Happy New especially to @Leaves, Gabriel and whole Skoak team [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. lartiste

lartiste Senior member

and of course whole members of this board

19. coldinboston

coldinboston Senior member

Thats probably why they brought in Lobb, who makes better looking shoes than both StC and GG. Makes the decision easier.

^^ purely my opinion. Not based on any objective data or really open for debate.

I do agree that (IMO) GG aestetics are better than StC but they are just too fashion forward and pointy (for lack of better words) for me.

I dont personally care if its handwelt or GYW so thats never the deciding factor for me

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  20. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

I can't help but think you have the flood of deco lasted examples from the other thread in mind. GG06 and MH71 are not fashion forward or pointy in any ways. Ishams and Thorpes on MH71 as well as Oxfords and Balmorals on GG06 are as classic and iconic as it gets.

2 people like this.