• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hopefully we're only about a month and 1/2 away from these at this point. These are the ones that occupy my dreams at this point.
Me too... :)

Dylanh

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and purchased my first Carmina from Skoaktiebolaget. The process was fast and efficient but I'm somewhat dissappointed at the quality of the leather. I must clarify that I had purchased it at a discount (~2200 SEK after VAT deduction), and may have missed the fact that it may have been a display piece (I did't recall it being labelled as a seconds or display item). Would like to seek your opinion on whether the wrinkles which marr large parts of the quarter are normal and if they can be treated.

Glue at seams which flap out.

Picture of sole (both sides have slight discoloration and scratches):

I don't have a huge collection of shoes, but the finishing and leather quality (at least from an asthetics POV) on my seconds Herring Henry (bought at comparable price), Alfred Sargent (20% more expensive) and even Sanders (half the price) are much better. I'm just wondering if this standard can be expected for all (normal priced) Carminas.

Moving forward, would Renovator help with the wrinkles?

Last edited:

Dieg0

Reaction score
I don't think they will disappear, seems leather is of lesser quality than what carmina usually has. But I also think this won't grow worse and you pointed out you bought them at a discount price. It is up to you if you decide to send them back or not.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are museum calf aren't they? If so, that's why they look like that. For some reason the leather feels cheaper and has those lines and veins. I had the same issue with my burgundy U-wings. Their normal calf is much nicer, I recently bought a pair of vegano calf and it's so much nicer quality and feel.

I wouldn't touch them with reno, bick 4 is better IME on museum calf. I think reno is overused, particularly when there's better or less harsh options.

Last edited:

Dylanh

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I'm checking with Skoak on the possiblity and cost of returning the item because the wrinkles are quite visble under the sun and the loose seams are rather unsightly. Granted the leather is notably softer compared to my colleague's meermin musuem calf which suprisingly didn't have such wrinkles. As to the finishing and condition of the sole, can I expect the same from normal priced carminas?

Once again, thanks.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those are museum calf aren't they? If so, that's why they look like that. For some reason the leather feels cheaper and has those lines and veins. I had the same issue with my burgundy U-wings. Their normal calf is much nicer, I recently bought a pair of vegano calf and it's so much nicer quality and feel.

I wouldn't touch them with reno, bick 4 is better IME on museum calf. I think reno is overused, particularly when there's better or less harsh options.

Indeed, that has been my experience too. Museum calf leather is very thin compared to regular calf leather. I remember Ron Rider saying something like that museum calf feels almost like leather used for women shoes.

I think John Lobb championed using of museum calf leather but is is unlikely Carmina will be using the same quality museum leather for their shoes.

@Dylanh

I think you got the good deal on those.

Dylanh

Reaction score
Thanks. Seems like the consensus is that the condition of my musuem calf is normal. Given that I got my shoes at a great discount, I may keep them. Digressing a bit - how do u care for musueum calf? Bic 4 i presume and neutral wax?

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Seems like the consensus is that the condition of my musuem calf is normal. Given that I got my shoes at a great discount, I may keep them. Digressing a bit - how do u care for musueum calf? Bic 4 i presume and neutral wax?

Hi there,

I actually have the very same pair, also bought from SkoaB, about a year ago.
I have approximately 30 odd pairs of Carminas and a good number of them are museum calfs. Some of them do appear to be a little more "veiny" than regular calf, I do find that Carmina's leather consistency can sometimes vary quite a bit but the overall experience so far has been largely positive. Am certainly sorry to hear about your pair, but it's great you managed to get them at a steal.
The soles might be slightly scuffed or marked as this pair may have been tried on in the shop. But after your first wear, the issue should cease to be a problem, since your soles are meant to be scuffed anyway.
In terms of caring for MC, I try to avoid neutral wax or even cream for that matter. I just use medium brown saphir cream and wax. It really won't take away from the desired mottling effect.
The problem with using neutral wax is that where the leather flexes a lot, esp the vamp, the wax may crack and give rise to many unsightly whitish streaks. This gets especially noticeable if you've layered the wax. Everything else you can just do the same as regular calf.

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do we know when Skoak will launch their US web Store? Can we still order from their existing website?

armsignet

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I'm checking with Skoak on the possiblity and cost of returning the item because the wrinkles are quite visble under the sun and the loose seams are rather unsightly. Granted the leather is notably softer compared to my colleague's meermin musuem calf which suprisingly didn't have such wrinkles. As to the finishing and condition of the sole, can I expect the same from normal priced carminas?

Once again, thanks.

Posting on SF buying and selling may be better than returning, at least from the US. Shipping is likely to cost more than $50. I would be surprised if you could not at least break even on the price and only pay out $15-20 for shipping to a US buyer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads