• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since we are kind of on the topic of chelsea boots.
I just wanted to ask you gents if you normally size down for them, and is there a risk of the elastic band loosening up over time causing heel slip or a significantly looser fit?

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just wanted to ask you gents if you normally size down for them, and is there a risk of the elastic band loosening up over time causing heel slip or a significantly looser fit?

If it's G&G stick to same size that you normally take most of my G&G shoes are air tight & it makes me feel like they are meant for my feet specially Tg73 last at least for me bud.

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score

Same size, eons ago tattersall had said EG didn't offer service to change the bands on a kibworth and reportedly told to rotate his shoes lol. Not sure for Chelsea boots. Wonder if still true and if G&G is the same for burnham or tatton etc,

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's G&G stick to same size that you normally take most of my G&G shoes are air tight & it makes me feel like they are meant for my feet specially Tg73 last at least for me bud.

Same size, eons ago tattersall had said EG didn't offer service to change the bands on a kibworth and reportedly told to rotate his shoes lol. Not sure for Chelsea boots. Wonder if still true and if G&G is the same for burnham or tatton etc,

Thanks guys, appreciate the input.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Skoaktiebolaget just placed my order (better late than never) for the Carmina split toe GMTO. Just a head's up, because pre-orders for GMTO require a 50% deposit up front, I wasn't given the option to use FedEx free shipping because the deposit was just under 1500 SEK. Now, from what I'm reading this may have been a blessing in disguise as fees seem like they're going to be much higher than the $17ish I'll be paying via USPS, but I just wanted to bring it up in case you weren't aware of this.

Last edited:

itraxx

Reaction score
Received my Thorpes yesterday - the colour is awesome. I'd be surprised if anyone were disappointed when they arrive.

Is there some trick for getting your feet into these things without unlacing the entire boot? This is my first pair without speed hooks and I'm not enjoying it thus far!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Received my Thorpes yesterday - the colour is awesome. I'd be surprised if anyone were disappointed when they arrive.

Is there some trick for getting your feet into these things without unlacing the entire boot? This is my first pair without speed hooks and I'm not enjoying it thus far!

Most boots I have without hooks have to be unlaced at least halfway.

Tallcane

Reaction score

Yeah, this is a bummer. still don't know how this happened. I have two boots, one with and one without speed hooks and the boots with speed hooks are so much easier to use.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Congrats, and I would Luv to see some pictures especially since it's going to be at least another week before I receive mine.

With speed hooks the lacing is already undone since the laces fall off when you untie them. The ease of speed hooks is because of this and the fact putting them back on it's easer because the eyelets can be a pain to re-lace. For me I have a few boots like this and I don't tend to use boots without speed hooks whenever I'm in a hurry. Frankly for this boot I'm actually more excited that they don't simply because I think they look better without the hooks and I have enough boots that I just wont use this pair if I am in a hurry.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
My experience as well.
The one exception was my Alden 4060 shell captoes. With those I only had to undo the top eye and loosen the rest. Gave me a false impression that all no hook boots would all be that easy. Not the case.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one exception was my Alden 4060 shell captoes. With those I only had to undo the top eye and loosen the rest. Gave me a false impression that all no hook boots would all be that easy. Not the case.

Probably because of how the shaft was constructed in combination with how far up the tongue was connected going up the sides of the boot would be my guess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads